Lead wire

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
We've had a few shotting / stret-pegging threads lately. When I was a kid I was taught stret-pegging and laying on but for a weight we used lead wire. I think it was actually lead solder wire, about 1.5mm dia. The wire would be coiled around a matchstick (not too tight or you couldn't get it out) and so form a coil, half or even an inch long. These coils were so easy to interchange, allowing you to switch from method to method really easily when wandering a river. I would like to start using this wire again, but where can I get some? I saw a spool in my local Homebase recently but there's no way I'm paying their £18 for it! SOlder is not really needed, just lead wire. So Angels, your task (should you choose to accept it) (and mixing my 70's TV shows) is to tell me where I can get a supply of lead wire at a sensible price.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I don't know Geoff, but I've got a few metres left on a spool from times gone by that I used to use to wind around a large hook for rolling meat. You're very welcome to a metre next time we meet up.
Jerry

dezza

Reaction score
is to tell me where I can get a supply of lead wire at a sensible price.

Try any supplier of fly tying equipment. Lead wire is used around the shank of a hook to sink the fly quickly. I have miles of the stuff.

Try Googling Sparton fishing. Steve should have some.

Another way is by the use of a masonery nail, as detailed in Mark Everard's book - "The Complete Book of the Roach".

For laying-on and stret-pegging I have often used tungsten putty, the stuff supplied by Kryston works well. Roll it around the swivel which can be used to join the hook length to the reel line. I have also used olivettes

I am convinced that split shot and other weights should be as streamlined and unobtrusive as possible. Kryston heavy metal is obtainable in 3 different colours. Brown is a good colour that matches the bottom.

ravey

Reaction score
I remember buying some at a tackle shop many years ago. I came in sizes 18 and 20, 20 being the finer, but both finer than 1.5mm diameter. Size 18 may have been about a millimetre thick. It was wrapped around a small piece of cardboard. Not sure what its original use would have been, but not for soldering.

You could try an aquarium shop. Lead tape or wire is used the weight the stems of plants down.

I had originally bought the wire to weight/load floats when the lead ban came into force, but have never really used it. If you're struggling, I can send you the stuff I have - if I can find it!

chav professor

Reaction score
Don't know how the non-toxic laws stand on this one Geoff?

I used the inner lead from lead core to roll around the braid to anchor a piece of tungsten putty for pop-ups. I was informed I was breaking the law........ if its lead and attached to your line, same rules apply, less than size 8 or greater than an ounce fine - in between it falls foul of the lead ban laws.

I am unsure Solder is not the the stuff for you anyway, it typically has a flux core - so avoid those, flux is nasty toxic stuff - would its presence be detected by fish and put them off????

Ahh..... Just remembered how I found out why I was breaking the lead ban - I went in to buy a small roll of lead pretty much like yourself for something or other - I was told they no longer sell the product due to the above reasons...

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't mess around with lead wire personally preferring to use one of the excellent Kryston Tungsten Putty products.

It is very malleable and can be 'threadled' onto hook lengths and is re-usable too.

Alternatively use the fly tying products but nost of those tend to be in silver or gold colourings whereas the Kryston Putty comes in 3 'earthy' shades.

Windy

Reaction score

terry m

Reaction score
The Restriction of Hazardous Substances Directive, -RoHS - has meant that lead cored solder is being phased out for all except some very specific applications.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Okay - In haste as I'm off on a fishing trip: I probably didn't make myself clear. This is for fishing in a spate river with a powerful flow. I need something a lot more agricultural than the fly-tie stuff. The putty is okay for still water but no good for this river. I need 1.5mm lead wire. That is, almost as thick as a matchstick.

F: Thanks for the PM. Good thinking.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Geoff, the easiest way is to buy some lead core anduse the lead from inside that. Cost you around £10 for 10m. Kryston do some 60lb stuff that has nice thick lead wire inside it.

dnahacker

Reaction score
from the EA local byelaws for my area...

8A.Prohibition on the use of lead weights
(i) Subject to paragraph (ii) below, no person shall on or after June 1st 1987 use for taking salmon, trout,
freshwater fish or eels in any waters within the Southern Region Fisheries Area any fishing line to which is
attached, directly or indirectly, any lead in the form of a lead weight.
(ii) Paragraph (i) above dose not prohibit the use of a lead weight 0.06 grams or less, or of more than 28.35 grams.

Interpretation
For the purpose of this Byelaw: “lead” includes any alloy or compound of lead; “lead weight” means split or shot
or any other thing suitable for weighting fishing lines which is neither incorporated and fully enclosed in the core
of the fishing line, nor incorporated in the construction of a swim-feeder, self-cocking float or a fishing lure; “
fishing lure” means any device, including a fishing fly, which is designed to attract fish and which incorporates a
fishing hook..

i think you are on thin ice myself, as mentioned tungsen putty would be a good choice