Delks V Fox

dave11

Reaction score
An old chestnut probably to you older guys but i have searched and it is basically for selling them

I have some Fox m's not bad alarms but for over 30 years i have always wondered if delkims are worth that extra. Yep 30 years or errr! mmmm! Naaa! . but being a bit older and just havin that extra in my pocket it's got me thinkin why not? So i went in the tackle shop and....errr! mmmm!...Naaa and walked out like i did 30 odd years ago or around there.
Are those functions REALLY necessary...TXI...sounds like a flash car and would probably think OTT but then coming down to the EV's or EV's + i may consider but then again are they better than the fox. i guess it could be ...well go try them you have always wanted to but ..mmmm!!

chav professor

Reaction score
Delkims are supreme for sensitivity.... many argue they can be too sensitive, but I haven't found this to be an issue in the short space of time I have owned mine as they are adjustable.

For looks alone, go for delks - for eel fishing and a few other specialized applications, Delkims also ticked the boxes!

sam vimes

Reaction score
It rather depends on your needs and expectations. If I only ever used alarms on stillwaters, I suspect that I'd be quite content with roller type alarms. If you aren't the type that uses a remote, there's no point in paying the premium for that feature.

I have the standard Delkim Plus, they do me just fine and I'm quite content, that for the way I use them, they were worth paying the relatively small premium over a similarly specified (tone, volume and sensitivity controls) roller type alarm.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Until a couple of years ago I used Fox STR's (with a remote) but was getting increasingly concerned as to their sensitivity capabilities.

After seeking advice from members here on FM who's views I thoroughly trust I switched to Delkim Txi-Plus alarms and remote and have felt far more confident with them ever since.

Not a cheap alternative, but then real quality rarely is cheap.

B

Berty

My tackle gets some stick....it's left made up in a quiver, when one of my 3 Delks sstarted playing up i asked myself what i really needed/

1. It had to be reliable.
2. It had to be rugged
3. It had to bleep when i had a take
4. I wanted to be able to turn it of /on easy
5. i wanted to be able to turn it right down
6. I wasn't botherd about tone adjustment.

I know use what i believe are as good as anything.......Original otonics, just on/off and volume control and one LED......they are 30yrs old!

dave11

Reaction score
Delkims are supreme for sensitivity.... many argue they can be too sensitive, but I haven't found this to be an issue in the short space of time I have owned mine as they are adjustable.

For looks alone, go for delks - for eel fishing and a few other specialized applications, Delkims also ticked the boxes!

For eels i tend to use Roll-overs and for zander too so they are very sensitive as it is. On a few occasions the roll-overs released with no sound from the Fox. on the end was a Pike and that is when i recently thought about the sensitivity.

Morespiders

Reaction score
I know use what i believe are as good as anything.......Original otonics, just on/off and volume control and one LED......they are 30yrs old!

I still use mine all the time Paul, funny how they make the same sound as well, just like any other bite indicator, I have Delkims, nothing wrong with them, but rarely use them.

Optonics for me every time, think I have had mine for 30 plus years

B

Berty

I still use mine all the time Paul, funny how they make the same sound as well, just like any other bite indicator, I have Delkims, nothing wrong with them, but rarely use them.

When they first came out they blew away all previous alarms........everything else since has just tried to emulate them.

chav professor

Reaction score
For eels i tend to use Roll-overs and for zander too so they are very sensitive as it is. On a few occasions the roll-overs released with no sound from the Fox. on the end was a Pike and that is when i recently thought about the sensitivity.

The great thing about Delkims is that they are so sensitive, just line passing over the sensor is sufficient to register a beep - effectively free-lining off an open spool.

Put your mind at rest... get delks

andreagrispi

Reaction score
I've got 3 of each, delkims are in a different league. I use my fox's for short sessions especially if I'm taking minimal gear - there very good but cannot touch the delkims.

B

Berty

The great thing about Delkims is that they are so sensitive, just line passing over the sensor is sufficient to register a beep - effectively free-lining off an open spool.

Put your mind at rest... get delks

Thing is tho Prof, in order to fish efficiently we need to register foreward and backward movement so some resistance is needed........hence my old optonics do the job.

I use them with rollovers for eel and perch fishing......they are a dream together........and i aint gotta fork out!

flightliner

Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berty

I bought my original Optonics by Dellareed in 1979. They were £20 each and they have never ever let me down, I just cant see any reason with the type of angling I do to change them.
Top bit of kit.
Mind you, I never had a beep out of em yesterday!

dave11

Reaction score
If i am using a free running rig i use my roll overs obviously on a open bail arm. Well conditions obviously need to be right for that. The best two together iis something like billy's backbiter however if you use a front alarm you need it to be ultra sensitive . I am a great fan of the run rig but not at night as unless you are sitting on your rods can deep hook a fish. However with the fox i have found no problem with that so far and it has been smooth with the open bail arm and roll over.
but i do feel it could be a problem with the roller type alarm if not taken inline to the rod where a non won't be so.

As for semi fixed bolts i don't think it makes much difference but running a huge amount. Running rigs have become out of use so much today but for the right fish can be deadly...

the other issue to me is the standard EV to the TXI etc. Again a standard EV is around £60 and TXI about £160...So can we justify that hike is the issue to me.?:)

chav professor

Reaction score
Thing is tho Prof, in order to fish efficiently we need to register foreward and backward movement so some resistance is needed........hence my old optonics do the job.

I use them with rollovers for eel and perch fishing......they are a dream together........and i aint gotta fork out!

I have never owned Optonics, there is a resurgence of interest in what now has become 'vintage' tackle from the 70's and 80's (Now that is scary - you never imagine the stuff you accepted as cutting edge to become 'Vintage'...).

I can imagine original Optonic alarms, heron's, glass fibre carp rods etc are going to become the 'new' cane..... If you can use an older piece of reliable technology and derive pleasure and satisfaction that it can do the job - thats what its all about!:w:w:w

B

Berty

Herons????? they could never ever be put alongside optonics lol

Before optonics we did all sort of weird and wonderful things to Herons and BJ's (no not him!:) ) in order to try to get them to work :) :)

terry m

Reaction score
Herons, hell yes they were something else. They preceded BJs by some time and I well remember trying to adjust he antennae for reliability, but with some modification I do remember them being fairly reliable - but not by todays standards.

Delkims are a country mile ahead of the rest - they are sensitive, they work, period. Look at the variations that Fox have marketed and then the few variations from Delk - that should tell you everything, they are as close to perfect as you are gonna get.

Oh and by the way, they do not cost £160 as suggested earlier in this thread, they are c£120 each for the TXi.

sam vimes

Reaction score
the other issue to me is the standard EV to the TXI etc. Again a standard EV is around £60 and TXI about £160...So can we justify that hike is the issue to me.?:)

There are three variations of the current Delkim alarm.
The most basic is the EV Plus at £60, next is the Plus at £85 and finally the Tx-i Plus at £122.50.

The main differences between them are that the EV Plus has a single sensitivity range setting. The others have two switched sensitivity ranges.
The top of the range Tx-i Plus has a built in transmitter. The Plus is effectively the Tx-i without the transmitter.

dave11

Reaction score
There are three variations of the current Delkim alarm.
The most basic is the EV Plus at £60, next is the Plus at £85 and finally the Tx-i Plus at £122.50.

The main differences between them are that the EV Plus has a single sensitivity range setting. The others have two switched sensitivity ranges.
The top of the range Tx-i Plus has a built in transmitter. The Plus is effectively the Tx-i without the transmitter.

OK thanks Sam. I really dont leave my rods so i gues the plus is the way to go....Thanks

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
OK thanks Sam. I really dont leave my rods so i gues the plus is the way to go....Thanks

That's what I bought a couple of years ago, I sit next to my rods, even at night, and they do everything that I could ask of them. Cracking bit of kit.

dave11

Reaction score

Perch Fishing with roll overs. I have never felt the need to use them for Perch ...interesting .

I use braid for all my fishing now apart from float fishing so with the TXI's i think the two sensitivity setting are a bit overkill. I am thinking mor the EV+ with the one setting is ample

Last edited: