Night fishing with a 'feeder

Skjelstad

Reaction score
I do! /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Do a lot of my chubfishing in the dark hours.

Deanos

Reaction score
I night feeder fish, being accurate on the cast is not really a problem as most of the rivers I fish are fairly small, although I do clip up sometimes for far bank swims.

Hitting bites at night time does my head in if its really windy, so I tend now to fish with a light Avon end section (use TFG river and stream rod...lovely kit!!!) its not as prone to move about in the wind or bob so much with a stroner current.

I am now starting to wonder how much using a torch to light up the rod tip makes any difference to the fish, I have (after fishing with Brendan off the site)started to like the method as against the Beta lights which show up any twitch or movement from the wind, almost too sensitive for the night time for me. Also the beta lights give you eye strain after prolonged periods.

On a still gentle evening I would not mind using the quiver tip, but usually find the bites are good when the lights go out.

Skjelstad

Reaction score
Aø fixed light do imho not affect the fish. A moving headlight on the other hand...

Morespiders

Reaction score
Dont bother Deanos, take your aunt Kathleen to the Working Mans Club in Castleford!.

J

john conway (CSG - ACA)

80% of my Chub fishing on the Ribble is at night and 60% of that is with a feeder, the other 40% PVA bags of micro pellets. On my upstream rod which is always bread or crust I clip up if I’m fishing 25M plus, I will only clip up on my downstream rod, normally pellet and paste, if the river temp is below 6C and I’m unlikely to pick up a Barbel. And yes I have had Barbel on bread but very few and they have not been big ones, and I’ve also picked up salmon on bread in the winter.

I don’t use quiver tip rods on the Ribble, I’ve two through action FM Concept rods and bite indication is via beta light on the rod tip. If the chub are being awkward then I’ll touch ledger. I’ll use my quiver tips on smaller rivers and they are also fitted with beta lights and again I’ll touch ledger if required, having said that I’ve not done much Small River fishing of late.

tinca steve

Reaction score
I find that using two isotopes about 15 inches apart is the best way, as one light can look as if its moving.
As for using a feeder in still or running water especially at night and clipped up , its so easy to use a marker knot so after casting you can unclip for safety, yes it is very easy with a bit of practise.

With the right bit of equipment you can fish a water in total darkness.

Keith M

Reaction score
If I'm Barbel fishing at night I normally fish with one rod and touch leger; but if it's a waiting game I might put two rods out with beta lights on the Avon tops. If I am fishing upstream with two rods Isometimesuse quivertips and beta lights.

But If I am Chubbing Inormally like toput two rods out with quivertips and beta lights. unless the bites are coming fast and furious then Ill fish with just one rod.

Rickrod

Reaction score
i use two beta lights with a slight curve in the rod tip it helps to take the strain of your eyes because you can focus on the gap between the beta lights

P

peter webber

like the above I do a lot of feeder fishing at night and use beta lights to see the bites. fishing two rods is also a good way to see the bites without too much eye strain.

George387

Reaction score
Like Tinca I use 2 isotopes about 10 - 15 inches apart, its not as much strain on the yes and the wind normally doesnt bother the 2nd one if the top one moves, Ive had many good chub and barbel this way but you cannot beat touch ledgering when the fish are on the feed.

J

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Before beta/stare-lites became common and cheap I and everyone else who fished on the river Lune for the bream at night used Tilley Lamps, however, you were casting 60M. At the same time I was also night fishing for sea trout and using a flash light was the kiss of death. To change files you turned your back to the river and used a tiny key fob light held between your teeth, however, the rivers were shallow and not very wide.

On the Ribble I use a Petzel Head lamp which I only use to retie hooks, weigh fish and when I’m packing up. Not only is everything always in the same place, in my rucksack and jacket pockets, I also layout my bait in the same order in relation to which way the river is flowing. Quite sad really!!!

Reaction score
i found when under arm casting the line was allways getting caught around the beta lights ? i dont think the light put fish off as it is pointing up at the end off your rods so no light goes on the water i have also painted my rod tip in a light colour abit like a quiver tip
and john how on earth do you manage to be so organised

tinca steve

Reaction score
For still waters you can use an illuminated compass or the old Nokia 5140i (builders phone) placed on a chair, and standing behind itto cast in the right direction and with the line clipped up to a marker knot you have the right distance. If you set these things up in daylight then you can fish in absolute darkness.

J

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Its just habit, I suppose it came about night fishing for sea trout, everything always in the same pocket or compartment of my fishing bag and before that long distance walking and expeditions, the last thing you wanted to do was empty your rucksack to find something when it was p*ssing down.

Anyhow, this company we’ve been taken over by is well into “New 5S” or Sort, Standardize, Straighten, Shine, Sustain and the new bit of the 5S is Spirit. We even have to put little labels on all our cupboards and desk drawers saying what’s in them. So keeping my fishing gear tidy, no problem.