Pop-up and other carp rigs

neil smith 2

Reaction score
what do i need to make a pop up carp rig or has any one got an easy rig and what will i need as there seems to b so much tackle out there?

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Any rig will pop up if you use a pop up boilie- most carp mags can give detail but if you're starting out keep it simple

neil smith 2

Reaction score
here r a few things i think i might need for starting carping. could u advise me

braid, whats monofilament line?do i need it. what size hooks for 10-15lb carp and what sort of weights? thanks

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Nice one Graham - haven't worked the "clicky thing" myself yet /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Neil your local tackle shop will have swivels - coated braid and mono - but start simple if you've never fished before - 12lb mono mainline should be fine - carp of 10- 15lb size 10, or 8hook 0

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Come on soem of the true carp boys on here help me out with advice for Neil - I'm not much ao a carp man

Mithrandir

Reaction score
I also use olivette type shot ( similar to the pole float ones ) or heavy metal putty to pin the pop up rig down about an inch or so from the hook. you do not always want the bait popped up the full length of your rig, ie on a clear bottom.

If you use shot, then I suggest that you do not attach it direct to your hooklink as it can give you a weak spot.

I have seen, but not tried yet, where you attach a small piece of braid with a water knot about an inch from you hook, then attach the shot to the braid about an inch from the waterknot. this is great when using fluorocarbon hook link on a pop up as you have not weakened the fluorocarbon by pinching on shot, and the suppleness of the braid gives a more natural movement to the popped up bait, which is often lost with the stiffness of the fluorocarbon line.

R

Roto Fryer

everything he needs to know is on the rigs page!

trial and error will teach which is the right one for the right situation.

NEIL MANSELL

Reaction score
y dont u try the KD rig it wos in uk angling times carp last week.

it quite easy to tie start off by doing 2 turns for a knotless knot
then start doing the next 6-8 turns underneath the hair, his will mean the hair kicks out at an angle all you have to do then is put your pop-up on and attatch a shot so the bait is critically balanced.

its better to use a soft braid with this rig as well it doesent work as well with fluro or mono as they are to stiff

CatmanDan (emmo Jnr)

Reaction score
My idea to fix the rig putty and stop it sliding down down or up the hook link. I use 15lb power gum, then tie a stop knot onto your braid or mono and cut the 2 ends very short and then mold your putty around the stop knot and hey presto the putty will never slip down the line especially on the mono, on the up side if you want to pop up the bollie a bit more just move the stop knot. This has never let me down at all, so I will share with you all. Tight lines