Targeting big bream?

dave11

Reaction score
In my waters there are bream to 18lb. But there are very few of them in fact we think about 6 at that weight and that’s it. Forget any smaller that’s it 18lb+ or no bream at all.. They have been caught a couple of times in 3 years. The water has rich natural sources of food. It's well known that bombarding it with ground bait does not work as they have come out to just single plastic baits with a handful of surrounding bait on both occasions. Location is everything on this Stillwater. It maybe that plenty of groundbait attracts other species in and so that’s it in fact i know that happens

My question is these...I always think that no matter what bream are always found in deeper water. The other is bite indication; to me they have to be the hardest indication on when to strike. They dilly dally with the bait. Many use extremely long swingers in their set ups as a real run will give you much more indication. These are big bream with the potential of a record however they are old and I am running out of time to catch one.

It seems Corn gets them with indeed plastic corn catching on both occasions. I know and am experienced enough to know how to at least give it a go.

This lake ( gravel pit) has mainly very deep areas. There are few swims that are shallow. The drop offs are severe right from the bank into 6ft to 20ft of water. Float fishing is slider and nothing else, the bars are the same miss it and you are in 20ft of water.....How would you attack such a situation

andreagrispi

Reaction score
I would only fish the water once you have at least 2 days of a steady SW wind - the stronger the wind the better. Then focus on the bank/corner which is being hit directly from this wind.

Find the most shallowest area(unless it's shallower than 4 foot - then avoid) which is as clear of weed as possible.

If the banks are infrequently fished or walked, the bream could be quite close in.

Stick with your artificial corn but make sure you per-bait with mainly caster but also with some hemp, pellet and a tin of tuna in oil. If you can, start baiting the minute you know of a constant period of SW wind. It would be best to bait up 2-3 days before you start fishing.

Then it's a matter of time and luck - you have done everything else to improve your odds.

Good luck!!!!

dave11

Reaction score
I would only fish the water once you have at least 2 days of a steady SW wind - the stronger the wind the better. Then focus on the bank/corner which is being hit directly from this wind.

Find the most shallowest area(unless it's shallower than 4 foot - then avoid) which is as clear of weed as possible.

If the banks are infrequently fished or walked, the bream could be quite close in.

Stick with your artificial corn but make sure you per-bait with mainly caster but also with some hemp, pellet and a tin of tuna in oil. If you can, start baiting the minute you know of a constant period of SW wind. It would be best to bait up 2-3 days before you start fishing.

Then it's a matter of time and luck - you have done everything else to improve your odds.

Good luck!!!!

Yep agree with that opinion apart from Tuna in oil...Well i don't disagree but it's a new one....Cheers

Simon K

Reaction score
I think you might be making a mistake by excluding the margins. Bream are known to come into the margin areas more in the warmer months on big pits.

Other than that, you ideally want to get as much observation time in as poss and try and work out the patrol routes, same as carp, and they may use the same routes that the carp do.

Big bream are known to "team up" with carp and tag along on the feed. I've seen this myself.

Lots of particles to hold them and hook-bait to match.