lures for summer pike

philblakey

Reaction score
Just depends on the individual day, weather conditions, water depth, water clarity etc
I love fishing topwaters....but they're not always effective, i just use what i think is best and try something else if it doesn't work.
Phil.

aaronlee

Reaction score
I must say I love surface lures especially my Poppers and Crawlers and any one who fishes these during the summer will be biest as this type of lure is excellent sport and highly exciting! and my personal favorite! - these will work for both Pike and Chub although I find mainly chub on the crawlers.

but as a member said they will not work every day or you may find only at certain times i.e the evening? or early morning or at night (which is a excellent time also) but it depend on the lake your fishing. “take into account at the depth of water, clarity and weather and light levels on the day” and fish the depths of water you think the fish will be at and work the depths and swims until you find them.

If boiling hot try deeper cooler water? or go the opposite and try the shallows, pike will bask in the shallowest of water, so don’t neglect the margins also but this will depend on the venue and depth of water more so in deeper lakes than in shallow less than 6ft I would happily fish with surface lures and shallow divers, especially around the weed and lillie beds.

Topwater lures are great fun but I wouldn’t be without my spinnerbaits and chrome spoons these produce fish for me on the hotest of days and regular save me from a blank session (I like lures that produce a lot of flash on bright days. If I had to pick a time to lure fish in the summer I would always tend to go early evening and into dark as fishing during the heat of the day is rarely productive for me as the pike on my local lakes tend to feed at this time more during the summer.