Is this Britain's Biggest Ghost Carp?

M

MarkTheSpark

Not really possible to say whether it's Britain's biggest, since ghost carp is (surely) just a pale carp. There must be degrees of ghostliness.

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

"Not really possible to say whether it's Britain's biggest, since ghost carp is (surely) just a pale carp."

<u>What are ghost koi?</u>

"It is not simply the ornamental trade that is so obsessed with this variety. Over the last decade, ghost carp (notice the subtle change in the name) or 'ghosties' have also shot to the top of the list of most carp anglers. Having stalked common and mirror carp in lakes for many years, the introduction of ghosties into the same waters has added a new flavour to the angler's catch, adding another variety and an unusual splash of colour to the angler's catch.

Ghost koi and ghost carp are the same fish and are carp hybrids, the result of a cross between a metallic koi and a common carp. NB This is not a hybridisation between species but between varieties of the same species producing fertile offspring.

Recognising that koi are the same species as carp (Cyprinus carpio) and it is through man's selective breeding that koi occur in an infinite array of colours and patterns, it is not surprising that a cross between metallic koi and common carp produces viable offspring - ghost koi. These offspring exhibit 'hybrid vigour' where the hybrids outperform the parents' growth, fertility and health."
Pond Keeping Answers

'Not exactly an acheivement either!'

Maybe not much of an achievement in some angler's estimation, but I've not hadso manybig fishI'd turn my nose up at it!

The Monk

Reaction score
yes the ghost carp is simply a variety based on its phenotype (what it looks like), it has nothing to do with its genotype (its gentic make up, ie it is a cyprinus carpio rex and nothing else, basically its a genetically modified freak created by man.

borntofish

Reaction score
Sorry to disappoint you but there's been a 45lb plus ghostie common that's been caught from ther river Trent on several occasions over the last few years. It has appeared in various publications including Angling Times. A carp is a carp. They're still cyprinus carpio and the Trent ghostie is a magnificent looking fish.

C

Cakey

superb fish

'Not exactly an achievement either!'......................yeah right ,koi are the hardest of the carp to catch so to me a big achievement !

R

Roto Fryer

i know a nice bird over here called koi /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

C

Cakey

I bet you do/forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif.................

steveo

Reaction score
a he?

Nice Carp.Definately an achievement and caught in mid water too.

Callum Mac

Reaction score
Only just stumbled across this... I've caught bigger ghosties than this myself

Nice fish mind