Fraking, more poison in our water!

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't know if any of you saw the news about the demonstration in Chesterfield yesterday at a civil engineering company that practice shale gas extraction or ''Fraking'' as it is commonly known. This company is next door to our factory and when I walked to work yesterday morning I was quite surprised to see several people handcuffed to the drilling companies gates and several police cars!
Anyway, I realised that they were demonstrating about this company contracting to a firm called Caudrilla who specialize in shale gas extraction. I know a little about Fraking but I was intrigued to find out more, so at lunch I asked one of the demo lot about the process. Apart from possible earth tremors and subsidence :eek:mg: the biggest worry is that the (very) toxic chemicals used in the process will eventually end up in the Aquifers, and waterways! I am astonished to hear that this so called government of ours actually think that this process is OK and have given Caudrilla (who by the way are American!) the green light to go-ahead!

Yet another threat to our waterways (and planet)

bankside

Reaction score
Yeh Mark,I fish the Wyre and I'm not looking forward to the future
once they start up around here!!!

The bad one

Reaction score
Mark very surprised they got the go-a-head in that area given it's deep mining history :eek:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Having been in the Oil and Gas business for approaching 40 years, I know a little bit about fracking too:

Here is the official view:

Report to UK government backs fracking - Yahoo! News

We have seen a 27% increase in recovery rates since fracking commenced in northern Canada and Alaska - rant as one might in favour of wind, wave and/or hydro power, (God forbid, not on my river) the FACTS of the matter are that in today's world we need Oil and Gas to survive!

tuolumne fisher

Reaction score
we need oil 'n' gas to survive because ?
a decision was made by america to exploit petro-chemicals, as opposed to renewable alternatives such as hemp, even the mighty mr ford developed a car using it

the petro-chemical lobbyists got their way back then, and 'ere we are today, another petro-chemical lobby getting their way again

next it'll be a call for more wonga for the ATr to initiate lobbying, yeah great, 2 bob of anglers money versus the deep pockets of those that ruin the environment

maceo

Reaction score
we need Oil and Gas to survive!

Well the leaders and experts had better work something else out very soon, because oil and gas are past their peak and running out.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Well the leaders and experts had better work something else out very soon, because oil and gas are past their peak and running out.

Not sure where you get that idea from maceo, some of the very recent exploration finds are bigger than Saudi Arabia's original reserves . . . . . .

These (incomplete) rumours seem to be proliferated only by the 'anti' lobbyists.

agamemnon

Reaction score
in america fraking has caused many deaths of livestock due to poisoned water ways. also there has been the odd case of gasses igniting through peoples kitchen taps. the earthquake last year in blackpool was possibly caused by fraking as well.
this should be banned by the government but its big money and hey money is far more important than our health

dezza

Reaction score
The chemicals used in fracking fluids are extremely toxic and are injected directly into the strata, the amount being measured in tonnes!!

Among the deadly cocktails are:

Hydrogen Chloride, Ammonium Chloride, Tetramethyl chloride, Potassium Hydroxide, Acetic Acid and Hydrotreated Petroleum Distillate.

There are many other hideously awful mixtures used, no doubt the menu being kept secret. But it does not bode well chaps. Underground aquifers are the lifeblood of many of our rivers, especially chalk streams. Think what would happen if they found an enormous quantity of shale gas beneath Salisbury Plain.

"Not in my back garden thanks!"

dezza

Reaction score
Unfortunately Ron, from what Mark says, it is in your back garden as you live downstream of Chesterfield.

I am aware of that Sean.

My comment was made metaphorically Sean. I know people who live near Salisbury and as long as they are all right, they wouldn't give a toss about those who live on shale gas.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
This fraking is a worrying development that has really come out of the blue. Unlike the US we are a very crowded little island and every aquifer is important either for drinking water supplies or for the rivers it sustains (or both). Sounds like yet another example of commercial exploitation of natural resources where the environmental costs and risks are not being taken into account properly, and a government putting the needs of business above the needs of society as a whole.

Last edited:

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I don't know if any of you saw the news about the demonstration in Chesterfield yesterday at a civil engineering company that practice shale gas extraction or ''Fraking'' as it is commonly known. This company is next door to our factory and when I walked to work yesterday morning I was quite surprised to see several people handcuffed to the drilling companies gates and several police cars!
Anyway, I realised that they were demonstrating about this company contracting to a firm called Caudrilla who specialize in shale gas extraction. I know a little about Fraking but I was intrigued to find out more, so at lunch I asked one of the demo lot about the process. Apart from possible earth tremors and subsidence :eek:mg: the biggest worry is that the (very) toxic chemicals used in the process will eventually end up in the Aquifers, and waterways! I am astonished to hear that this so called government of ours actually think that this process is OK and have given Caudrilla (who by the way are American!) the green light to go-ahead!

Yet another threat to our waterways (and planet)

Fish are generally accepted as a good indication of the state and quality of our waters and by extrapolation therefore of our general ecology.

What can you do though Mark become an eco warrior ? Vote Green ? I really don't know.

thanks for bringing it to our attention.

little oik

Reaction score
I have heard the Americans are shutting down some of their own Gas Rigs due to fact that in this present climate they cannot make them pay .
Not exactly sure what the profit margins are and also perhaps waiting for the price to rise in the future so then can start the rigs up and reap even bigger profits .

As for Fracking it is mainly the concrete well caps that are the problem with spills and leaks .However it doesnt sound too good in the fact that they openly admit that they are working on this problem and hope to resolve it soon.

We have had the scare over here ,They have not started yet thank god and hope they never will unless they can do this process with absolute guarantees that there will not be an environmental disaster.
Bacon Airways ready to taxi on runway 2

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Unfortunately Ron, from what Mark says, it is in your back garden as you live downstream of Chesterfield. :eek:

Sean,
I found out today that Caudrilla are not actually drilling around NE Derbyshire (as TBO says, its a mining area) they just store the gear in this yard as it is ''out of the way'' in a little place that not many folk know about, so what are they trying to hide? Sounds rather sinister to me :(
By the way, if you see a drilling rig in the middle of your local fields surrounded by blue and white machinery and large blue ''railway freight type'' containers then it will be most definitely be Caudrilla up to no good ;)

Last edited:

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yeh Mark,I fish the Wyre and I'm not looking forward to the future
once they start up around here!!!

Apparently, the rig here in chesterfield is the one that they are using at Hesketh Bank near Preston and eventually they will hope to have 800 wells operating in Lancashire alone!
Its sheer bloody madness, I myself fish around that area as my other half is from Chorley and I would hate to see anything happen to Southport and Wigan club waters (and all the others of course) :eek:mg:

bankside

Reaction score
Mark,don't forget the underground gas storage caves around the Pilling
area that another firm wants to excavate!!.