Shelf life boilies

P

peter webber

Been talking fishing and baits as you do when you get a couple or more anglers together and we got on to the subject of self life boilies.

A couple of questions that came up was ....

What goes into a self life boilie that does not go into frozen boilie.?

What ingredients can't you put into a self life boilie that can go into a frozen one?

Part of the thinking being that ingredients like eggs will go off (spoiling the baits) unless something is put in with it to stop this process.

So to be able to make self life boilies rather then froen ones what differs in the ingredients?

Mithrandir

Reaction score
if you use powdered egg ( it is pastuerised before drying) and a good dose of salt, then properly air dry them, you have a really good shelf life type boilie

All the rest probably just legend to make us part with more money.

Keith M

Reaction score
In my very limited experience with shelf life boilies I have found that the best shelf life boilies have always been in the bin. where they belonged.

However I would love to learn about any genuine shelf lifes that are genuinely good, and don't just catch anglers or the very occasional very hungry carp that hooks itself as it tries to spit it out in disgust. until then it's fresh or frozen for me.

I know some anglers like them but I've got no confidence in them after trying them for a season or twoon one rodwith fresh or frozen on the other rod and consistently getting more runs on the fresh or frozen baits.

NB. Its s<u>H</u>elf life & not self life /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

B

Bully

Self Life - as in you grant them the Holy Grail?

Or do you mean Shelf Life /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

pcpaulh

Reaction score
I've never caught anything on a shelf life bait unless its been a particular Richworthmodel or Dynamite baits. And both seem to have worked better on rivers then in lakes.

P

peter webber

Ok OK I hold my hand up to that one - BUT in my defence it's not me it's this blonde /forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif dyslectic /forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif computer keyboard, it gives me no end of trouble.

N

Nathan Ball

I don't really understand how people can hate shelf lifes but then use pop-ups which are surely made from the same ingredients as you don't need to freeze them?!

I've only recently used frozen boilies but on day tickets I cant say they've given me an extra edge. I've caught the same amount if not more fish then my mateswhen i've been using shelf life's (Dynamite & Mistral have been my favourites).

I would imagine that the shelf life/frozen debate would only come into play when your regularly adding bait as a food source for carp prior to fishing for them.

I'd like to hear other people's opinions/experiences...

C

Cakey

after carp fishing for ** years I can honestly say that frozen boilies are a 100 times better than shelf life but if the carp are hungry and havin it they will take anything

as Ive said on here 1692 times before Id rather have a shit bait in the right place than a good bait in the wrong place

E

Evan NotMightyAtAll

1693 now.....

and you really must give us (and especially Matt Corker) the benefit of your recipe for s***bait.... it sounds really s*** hot /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif.

Keith M

Reaction score
Nathans quote:"I don't really understand how people can hate shelf lifes but then use pop-ups which are surely made from the same ingredients as you don't need to freeze them?!"

Nathan, surely not all floaters come in plastic pots?.

When I used to Carp fish seriously (quite a few years ago) we used to use frozen floaters which were totally different to shelf life floaters. If my memory serves me right we used toadd sodium cassienate (instead of calcium cassienate)and put them in the oven for a short time tomakethem float. Don't they still sell them in the shops?? The frozen floatersare nothing like shelf life boilies.

Cakeys quote:"Id rather have a shit bait in the right place than a good bait in the wrong place"

True Cakeybut I would still rather have a good bait regardless as to whether its in a sh*t place or not wouldn't you?./forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Yes shelf lifes do work for some; but because I have a choice I would only use a bait that I have total confidence with otherwise I feel thatI'm just using a second best.

But If I fish a day ticket water for carp at short notice I may try Dynamite or mistral shelf lifes if enough people say thatthey now rate them.

N

Nathan Ball

Like i said, i wasn't sure. The only pop-ups ive seen are those in plastic tubs. I dont ever recall seeing frozen pop-ups but I have seen people making them by using cork balls covered in base mix & then boiled.

Sodium cassienate - what is it & where can you find it?

Also; if you only added a bit of this sodium cassienate into a normal base mix would you produce balanced baits?

F

Frothey

be aware it will swell your bait and totally alter the texture - i much prefer to use cork dust/balls to make them.

Rob Maylin reccomended something like half a teaspoon full of sodium caseinate. in 10kg of bait. his description of it was class....... /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Keith M

Reaction score
Nathan, I will have a look tonight to see if I can find any of the recipes that we used to use and the different places where we sourced the ingredients from if its of use to you.

N

Nathan Ball

That would be great actually - thanks /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

C

Cakey

if you want your pop upsto match your bottom bait freebies then you must go the Frothey way

cork balls not cheap at first butyou never ever lose them

Colin W

Reaction score
make them out of old winw/champers corks ,a bit of work involved but the work just fine.

Shine

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>
<blockquote class=quoteheader>CAKEY ........ wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

if you want your pop upsto match your bottom bait freebies then you must go the Frothey way

cork balls not cheap at first butyou never ever lose them</blockquote>

wouldanyone be as kind as to explain how these cork balls work please</blockquote>

C

Cakey

when you roll your boilies you make your pop ups by wrapping paste around a cork ball and hand roll to the same size as your bottom baits/freebies and boilie

if you dont roll your own you then need to use a hamburger or foam insert.................