Do you always obey fishery rules ?

bennygesserit

Reaction score
There are so many fishery rules these days it gets confusing , can you use hemp ? can you surface fish ?
I was fishing a couple of weeks ago and the guy next to me had 3 carp with 3 casts , fishing hemp which is against the site rules.
On the same pool some scallys were fishing 2 rods but put one away whenever the baliff popped round.

Now I would rather relax while I fish so I wouldn't do the 2 rods thing but I have dabbed which is effectively fishing on the surface on a complex where its not allowed.

So here are the ways I have broken rules

1. surface fished ( by dabbing )
2. fished the margin without a float on i.e. freelining
3. used a banned bait ( by mistake )
4. threw my bait in at the end of the day ( Not if its a whole tin of sweetcorn though I take that home with me )
5. threw method mix balls in like groundbait - no groundbaiting allowed.

Ok so I am no master criminal but I think its time these fisheries became a little bit more uniform in their rules ( the surface fishing one bugs me the most , is it because of wildfowl or damage to the mouths of fish ? ) .

Anyway do you sometimes bend the fishery rules a little or even a lot ?

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Generally speaking yes - cant think of any time i knowingly havent, but then most places i fish do have sensible rules and if they insist on barbless hooks or whatever, it doesnt bother me either way.

Did fish without a landing net the other day though - but had a mate nearby with one. Its not that i dont own one, but i left my net bag at home by mistake. Wasnt needed anyway!

I dont understand the no surface baits rules - unless it was a duck pond. If my swim was full of ducks i wouldnt attempt it anyway, but then some may not have a common sense gene.

Last edited:

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score

I've done the old dabbing trick to get round the no surface fishing rules
I've thrown balls of ground bait in when that was against the rule (I've put 2 or 3 balls in not 10 or 20)
But that's it

dangermouse

Reaction score
I've thrown balls of ground bait in when that was against the rule (I've put 2 or 3 balls in not 10 or 20)

Done that, although I never go crazy with GB.

Did once stick a piece of salami from a sarney on the hook at a venue where meat is banned.

I was at Wombwell Dam yesterday and was sooooo tempted to fish the surface. The carp were there for the taking but it`s not allowed, very annoying.

cg74

Reaction score
Apart from the no groundbait rule at Grimsbury - No I do not break fishery rules.

But I'll stretch them to near breaking point; take last week at Whiteacres:
No heavy baiting on specimen lakes - What is medium baiting and when does it become heavy?

If the rule can not be quantified; it can not be imposed, end of!

PS,
Steph, if you want to know how long it takes 20kg of bait in a lake at 30yards with a spomb, though I never put that amount in, I could work it out by multiplying my spombed-in fraction accordingly.;):D:D

Last edited:

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Apart from the no groundbait rule at Grimsbury - No I do not break fishery rules.

But I'll stretch them to near breaking point; last week at Whiteacres:
No heavy baiting on specimen lakes - What is medium baiting and does it become heavy?

If the rule can not be quantified; it can not be imposed, end of!

PS,
Steph, if you want to know how long it takes 20kg of bait in a lake at 30yards with a spomb, though I never put that amount in, I could work it out by multiplying my spombed fraction accordingly.;):D:D

I was at whiteacres a few weeks ago is there a rule that says no weed on the specimen lake ? It smelled like a columbian cake factory.

Did you catch ?

cg74

Reaction score
I was at whiteacres a few weeks ago is there a rule that says no weed on the specimen lake ? It smelled like a columbian cake factory.

Did you catch ?

Benny, like I say bend rules don't break them. If a weed ban gets imposed - smoke solids, simples!:D

Like Bill Clinton, carp anglers don't inhale, the smoke is used as a natural insect repellent, that's all.:cool::D

I had a good week cheers and caught a good few, sadly the cats were fairly elusive though, I only caught two, biggest going 25-06.
Best of all, I got my 11yr old casting inch perfect with a feeder and landing his fish unaided.:)

Last edited:

skullsat

Reaction score
Ok so I am no master criminal but I think its time these fisheries became a little bit more uniform in their rules ( the surface fishing one bugs me the most , is it because of wildfowl or damage to the mouths of fish ? ) .

Anyway do you sometimes bend the fishery rules a little or even a lot ?

I have done but not on any grand scale,the surface rule is for both fish and wildlife safety,and i understand both specially when you see some idiot pulling the lips of a fish.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I have done but not on any grand scale,the surface rule is for both fish and wildlife safety,and i understand both specially when you see some idiot pulling the lips of a fish.

Sorry mate could you clarify - do you mean the surface take is too violent ?

benny samways

Reaction score
I wont use a barbless hook over size 12 so if a fishery stipulates barbless only and Im using big hooks I break that rule.

Once had a baliff check my hook to make sure I was using barbless he okayed it even though it was barbed!

I use my own pellets on lakes who want you to buy theirs.

I am an eithical angler and have my own code which I take wherever I go.

dnahacker

Reaction score
only once, i used a braid main line last winter whilst trotting on the test, it was a rule i was not aware of until i was there, i had nothing else with me plus i used a hook length of lower BS mono joined with a 4 turn water knot, no chance of any fish being left towing around long bits of braid...

skullsat

Reaction score
Sorry mate could you clarify - do you mean the surface take is too violent ?

I've seen few people over eager and strike the fish with well too much force,resulting in just the fishes lips being left on the hook,had a word with a couple of lads who was using barbed hooks of about size 6,ended up having a heated debate,newcomers should steer clear of surface fishing unless they're prepared to watch and learn off others who are doing it correctly,but that's my opinion,an old man(in his late 70's)who always surface fishes was scolded like a little kid at one of the waters he fished regular because he didn't know the rules had changed he packed up and left really upset.the bailiff said the rules had been changed due to the amount of wildlife being injured.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've broken the odd rule inadvertently but don't usually set out to ignore rules. One water I know of has a list of rules a mile long. The owner could politely be deemed eccentric. The rules change quite randomly and it's easy to get caught by an amendment that isn't necessarily on the board. The worst was a club water where the bailiff made up his own rules, over and above the published club rules, as he went along. They were also only applied to certain people and not universally too.:rolleyes:

Only one water have I regularly ignored a rule or two. However, it's owned by a mate. He will cheerfully admit that the majority of his limited rules are "only there for the numpties".:eek:;):D

---------- Post added at 12:28 ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 ----------

I've seen few people over eager and strike the fish with well too much force,resulting in just the fishes lips being left on the hook,had a word with a couple of lads who was using barbed hooks of about size 6,ended up having a heated debate,newcomers should steer clear of surface fishing unless they're prepared to watch and learn off others who are doing it correctly

I'm really not getting this, sounds like a rubbish excuse for a rule. If they are idiots that can do that with a surface bait, they can do just the same with a bottom bait. Whether the bait floats or not is immaterial. What on earth has the hook size got to do with anything?:confused:

I'm afraid that the only valid excuse for banning floating baits is to protect birdlife. However, even that can be a little thin when you consider that many waters aren't deep enough to stop most water fowl diving for a bottom bait. At the extreme you have tufted ducks that I've witnesses taking baits in over twenty feet of water.

cg74

Reaction score
I wont use a barbless hook over size 12 so if a fishery stipulates barbless only and Im using big hooks I break that rule.

Once had a baliff check my hook to make sure I was using barbless he okayed it even though it was barbed!

I use my own pellets on lakes who want you to buy theirs.

I am an eithical angler and have my own code which I take wherever I go.

Ah that old gem of a rule, I forgot all about it.... Yes I consistently break it but in a conscientious fashion. If they insist on low oil carp/coarse pellets only; then that's what I'll use.
Besides if you want to bend that rule there are plenty of ways; glug your pellets in oil, plus a little molasses.
If you're spodding, add crushed hemp and halibut groundbait, or just halibut.

As for stipulations regarding hook sizes; the tackle manufacturers have done a fine job of making an ass out of those rules:
A size 18 Korum S4 has exactly the same dimensions as a size 12 Drennan Carbon Feeder.
A Korda Wide Gape size 4 is a very close match to a size 1/0 Kamasan short shank crab hook.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I've seen few people over eager and strike the fish with well too much force,resulting in just the fishes lips being left on the hook,had a word with a couple of lads who was using barbed hooks of about size 6,ended up having a heated debate,newcomers should steer clear of surface fishing unless they're prepared to watch and learn off others who are doing it correctly,but that's my opinion,an old man(in his late 70's)who always surface fishes was scolded like a little kid at one of the waters he fished regular because he didn't know the rules had changed he packed up and left really upset.the bailiff said the rules had been changed due to the amount of wildlife being injured.

Many thanks - I'll bear that in mind :thumbs:

cg74

Reaction score
I'm really not getting this, sounds like a rubbish excuse for a rule. If they are idiots that can do that with a surface bait, they can do just the same with a bottom bait. Whether the bait floats or not is immaterial. What on earth has the hook size got to do with anything?:confused:

I'm afraid that the only valid excuse for banning floating baits is to protect birdlife. However, even that can be a little thin when you consider that many waters aren't deep enough to stop most water fowl diving for a bottom bait. At the extreme you have tufted ducks that I've witnesses taking baits in over twenty feet of water.

It's got me baffled too.:confused: