peeler crab

chav professor

Reaction score
The tank approach looks extremely excessive for even a match angler!

Used to collect peelers and keep them in fridges in trays. Each tray perhaps 30 crabs with a damp cloth over the top soaked in sea water. Morning and night give them a quick spray with sea water using an atomizer. when I wanted to turn a few, placed them in the garden in about half inch of sea water and enough would start to swell.

I could keep crabs like this for up to two weeks.

Is the advantage of the tank system that you can keep more of them and for longer?

codfather56

Reaction score
this system is to keep more crabs and get them in the freezer as soon as possible myself and 2 of my mates use the tanks to get our winter crab the idear is not to keep them longer

chav professor

Reaction score
I can really appreciate the advantages of tanking if you have vast numbers + great for storing rag. I am terrible at keeping rag!!! I probably had 150 on the go at the most when they were in season.

Bait digging, collecting, storing, turning etc is one of the reasons I do far less sea fishing. Don't get me wrong, I used to get a lot of pleasure digging and collecting top quality bait but is so labour intensive - I used to spend as much time digging as I did fishing!

It was a phase I went through that is not compatible with my home life at the moment.