thinking too much...

G

Gary Knowles

I read Kevin's article with interest and yes Kevin, I enjoyed it, it got me thinking about how little float fishing I do these days and how much I enjoy it when I do. But heres something I've been thinking about for a while, and this is unrelated to Kevins piece so not ment to counter his argument. Does anyone else feel that people these days sometime spend too much time thinking, writing, pontificating, etc about their fishing at the expense of actually fishing?

Lets face it no amount of theories, reasoned argument or scientific facts are a substitute for actually getting on the bank and fishing. More often than not I walk to the river or lake with a definite, reasoned plan in mind then change it at the last minute, on what you may call a gut feeling....anyone who has fished with me will tell you I'm probably the least scientific, most disorganised, low-tech angler I know...but I seem to do OK !

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

I mostly do the same as you Gary.

It can be worth bearing in mind what we read or hear about in the mags or on the forum. But usually it can be a month or more later before I put something new into action. I would say in most cases, it takes me a period of twelve months to bring any new changes or thoughts into play. Slowly but surely the subtle changes are made.

But more often than not. I will revert back to how I was fishing before I was hit by the thought process.

Joey

Reaction score
Gary, I think that a lot of anglers do over complicate things at the expense of their enjoyment of the sport. However it is part of human nature to experiment with different ideas in the hope of finding a better way of doing things.

I think my approach is a bit simialar to yours in so much as I try to keep it simple and do whatever works for me, so long as I'm catching fish and enjoying doing it why change it.

J

john conway (CSG - ACA)

I think it’s in the nature of the people to be inquisitive; some are more than others, regardless of their sport or hobby. Some think and talk in-between their fishing trips and not at the expense of them. Some people are competitive and some not, and some it just depends on how they feel at that moment in time, and of course being completive doesn’t mean you are good at it. What you enjoy about how you fish is not necessarily what others enjoy.

However, although I’m very inquisitive about what’s going on and I actually enjoy record keeping and reading my diary, I do think we are far too techie when it comes to equipment and baits and on that point I agree with you Gary keep it simple.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

"anyone who has fished with me will tell you I'm probably the least scientific, most disorganised, low-tech angler I know...but I seem to do OK !"

Hmmmmm, 'ok' is pushing it /forum/smilies/hot_smiley.gif

To concur Gary, and he knows my views on it, K I S!

Some try to over complicate things for no reason whatsoever, some just come up with what seems simple but very effective idea's! /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Surely a bit of both id the idea solution

You set out with an idea of how you are going to fish an area of water and then make any changes once on the bank and you can assess the situation.

Thinking time for me is at home - trying new groundbait receipies ect - then on the bank if it's not working - switch to something else.

Joey

Reaction score
Well said M'lud, we are all different, thank God, and what floats one mans boat does nothing for the next man.

If one angler prefers to spend more time experimenting than another angler or keep records of his catches then that's his prerogative. The bottom line must be, do whatever makes you happiest.

G

Gary Knowles

"If one angler prefers to spend more time experimenting than another angler or keep records of his catches then that's his prerogative. The bottom line must be, do whatever makes you happiest"

Definitely..its all about enjoyment. But I suppose what I'm saying is there isn't always a reason why something works...it just does...and often if you analyse it it shouldn't...

fish don't do maths, quantum science, or read articles on how they behave.....so sometimes flying in the face of whatresoned argument suggest should happen does work....

and if we worry too much aboutwhy this is then we could be wasting our time....because there simply isnt a reason.....

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
These days I am too old and too lazy to go to much length to improve my fishing, I tend to go and fish either the float or the feeder with a basic approach and because I have fished most venues before I have a good idea of what works, if I catch all well and good if I don't then theres always another day. What I don't do is keep swapping and changing to improve my chances but thats down to age and laziness as I said, it suits me but I can see guys on here bristling at the thought of it but hey! lifes too short to worry about a fish at my age.

Reaction score
Your right Gary, I personally spend far too much time thinking, adapting, altering different methods in my head ready to utilise them on the bank

I have had so many different ideas, I have even got a fishing book where I record all the ideas ready and eager to use them the next time I go out.

To date I have hardly used any of them, I tend to use the tried and tested methods instead of using some new ideas.

I think one of the reasons is that I seem to have so little time on the bank I dont really want to take the risk on an potentially unnsuccessful method, when I know that a tried and tested one (with a few changes here and there) will bring results.

I think this year I will try and get out more and try different things.

Lord Paul

Reaction score
THat's true Stevie

It those with more time that then to experiemnt and you only here about the sucess - never when things didn't go well

Like the time I used up the rabbits feed pellets (it was dead at the time - and still is dead for that matter) as abase for the method feeder.

I soaked the rabbit pellet to soften them into a sludge and then cupped some in to the margins and stiffend the rest with bread crumb and fish it on the method

THe mix stayed on the feeder ok and then made a nice cloud of attracter in the water, whilst the sludge in the margin slowly leaked out in to the water.

Result nil carpafter 3 hours on a well stocked commercial -switched to float fished sweetcorn and caught soem nice roach - but I don't tell anyone about that failure

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about that m'lord, your secret is safe with me.

I remember a while agowhen I was targeting thevast amountof barbelin a local stilwater using prototype meat meal paste and pellets. This is a venue were luncheon meat has been banned so Ithought offering something that they had not seen for a whilewould ensure thatI was on for a bagging session.

Hours later, I'd had a couple of chub and roach and no barbel, to make matters worseeither side of me were bagging barbellike it was going out of fashion-on normal fishmeal pellets.

I was convinced that It was just a matter of time before the barbel got a taste for whatI was offering so I tried again a couple of days later- with the same result, I wasnt a happy bunny.

BarryC

Reaction score
I usually spend inbetween sessions thinking about new baits rigs etc then when the weekend comes round generally stick to what has usually worked. I will then change things if I am struggling.

I usually try to give youngsters a bit of help if I can but the most important bit of advice I give them is that to catch fish first you have to go fishing. This may seem a little silly but what I am try ing to get across is that as in most sports the more you do it the better you will get at it. While you are fishing a situation will often arise that will jog your memory to a magazine artical or forum post you have seen, you will try it, modify it and hey presto you start catching.

Dont sit at home wishing you were fishing get out there and do it.

So I suppose I am saying that at home is the time to collect ideas and the waterside is the time to think about them, adapt them to your situation aqnd try them out.

J

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Trying new ideas is one of those phases you have to go through and get the tee shirt before you can be laid back about your fishing. Once you’ve caught a few fish, chased a few big ones, lost a few birds and even the odd wife along the way, then and only then can you say whether it was worth it.

B

Bully

Basically Barney - yup I agree with your sentiments. However at the moment I only pontificate, debate on FMetc becuase I simply do not have the time to fish........so its my virtual fish!! I took the decision to get my ECB Cricket Coaching badges, now I coach all Sundays in winter, 3 evenings in summer, and run two U14 teams.......ouch!

So I'll carry on with FM to keep me sane and up to speed /forum/smilies/surprised_smiley.gif)

....however my cunning plan may work. Hopefully booking a farmhouse in France for 3 weeks. So far my wife has not noticed the "well renowned 7 ha carp lake availble to the tenants".

So thats my plan......just to get out.

matt

Reaction score
When young.without a wife, son, mortgage or rediculouse hours work week. You can go and do rather then pontificate.

With age it seems come many more time consuming responsibilities, but the 'passion for angling' still burns strong. So you ' spend too much time thinking, writing, pontificating, etc' to get your fishing fix.

Steve Holland

Reaction score
I try not to analyse things too much basically because I get too bad a headache, he he!!!!! Mates of mine who fish can be very critical and analytic, I keep telling them they think too much. However sometimes they come to a successful conclusion. We anglers or a large percentage, are very adept at thinking too much and that can become boring or make fishing boring. I do get the same especially with chub, nope still nowt happening there, then again I havent gone out for them much over the last month or so which wont help!/forum/smilies/eye_rolling_smiley.gif

However, I do like experimenting and trying to suss things out (where, why, how etc.) but once I struggle its back to basics.

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Gary Knowles wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

anyone who has fished with me will tell you I'm probably the least scientific, most disorganised, low-tech angler I know...but I seem to do OK !</blockquote>

Unless they've fished with me. My tackle box is a tip and I really do try to keep things as simple as possible.

But boy, do I love to tryand analyse what went right and what went wrong during those times when I can't get out there and fish.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Looks to me as if to much thought has gone into this already /forum/smilies/devil_smiley.gif

If i wanted to think for myself i wouldn't have got married and had kids lol

F

Fred Bonney

I stick to basics, either on the float, or ledgering, and tinker with the tackle, and the bait whilst fishing.

My tackle bag is becoming progressively lighter as a result.

My latest tinkering is with flavours.

For the moment, my methods generally seem towork ok for me.