Boat Fishing?

Ben Haigh

Reaction score
Hi guys, just got a few questions.

My mates got a boat, so we was thinking of taking it up to the lake district for a spot of fishing, but we've never boatfished before, so...

What sort of fishing should i be doing from a boat? I'm thinking mainly spinning/jigging for pike/perch.

Which lakes would be the the best choice? Ayone have any experience of any of them? Where do i get a ticket to fish, if i need one?

Got boat, anchor, bouyancy aids, outboard, oars, what else do we need?

How important is an echosounder doodah, we'll have a couple of days to search whichever lake we end up on.

JIMMY---PAAS

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I would think that you,s would need permission to put your boat into a lake.( Pay for it )

What I would do is to check the web (Sites) If thay do allow boats on there lake and how much it will cost.

Jimmy.

Trisantona

Reaction score
How big is boat,some of the lakes can be treacherous,bouyancy aids are not the same as a proper life jacket,you are right to ask questions before going,if you don't get much info on here try the boating forum on pike and predators./forum/smilies/thinking_smiley.gif

Islander

Reaction score
To use any vessel on the lakes it has to be registered with the L.D.S.P.B.,- Lake District

Special Planning Board, ( more red tape !!! ) the charge is dependant on the boat length,

I'm not sure but there may be an easier simplified procedure for visiting vessels.

If you are thinking of fishing Windermere there's a launch ramp at the south end of the lake

just off the A591 near Fell Foot, (about 20 mins. from J36 - M6) but there's a charge.

Best of luck.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
A very good point is made by Trisantona the lake water up there in summer may look warm but you will not last long in the worst case scenario Ben ,how much is the cheapest life jacket?

Ben Haigh

Reaction score
Cheers for the replies guys.

i will look into the red tape side of things, windermere was probably the target, just didn't know if anyone knew any other lakes that would offer a better head of fish.

seen some lifejackets on lifejackets.co.ukthat are "made with the angler in mind" for like, 45 quid, that should do the job. (second down for anyone who followed the link)

it seems like this is gonna cost a reasonable amount of money, a damn sight more than the tackle i'll be using, lol. oh well, i'm sure i can always sell the lifejacket on ebay if i use it and find it's not my cup of tea.

JIMMY---PAAS

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No probs Ben; But you,r better to be safe than sorry. Enjoy you,r day out and think before you leap ???.

Jimmy.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Ben I have canoed up there in the past and took the risk with a bouyancy aid but you take your chances,I take it the 45 pound jobby would inflate on contact with water?I suppose you could use it for flooded rivers as well becausethey can be dodgy also.
Always costs with fishing if you are not careful.

Ben Haigh

Reaction score
gav, yeah, i think thats what the automatic bit means, self-righting, so it should keep my head above the water at least, lol.

S

Sean Meeghan

Hi Ben

A fishfinder is an absolute necessity for a short visit to a large lake that you don't know. I'm not an expert on The Lakes, but I have fished Loch Lomond a lot so here's some general pointers.

Fish finders aren't! They are really good for working out the bottom contours, finding weed beds etc, but crap at finding fish.

To find pike and perch you're best investigating the deeper bays on the edge of the weed cover and trolling or drifting along contours. Plateaus and points are also worth a go.

If you go in march, april or may look for the shallower bays with good weed cover.

jigs work well for perch, but if you locate a shoal ancor up (depth permitting) and fish worm.

Buy a drogue and use it to drift, or use the oars.

Make sure you understand and stick to the rules - you will get checked.

Hope that helps

Ben Haigh

Reaction score
cheers sean, thats the kind of advice i'm needing.

how much would a fishfinder cost, looking secondhand etc, any ideas.

are they easy to use?

lobworms crucial for good perching, i've noticed that, lol.

S

Sean Meeghan

They start at around £60 new, but try on Ebay. Price is largely dictated by the screen resolution. If you intend doing a lot of boat fishing go for a higher resolution model. 3D ones and ones that give temperature and speed aren't that much use in the UK. Portable ones tend to be more expensive, but are less fiddly to set up. They are very easy to use, but you need to work at interpreting what you see on the screen. Practising over an area of the lake that you can see the bottom of works well.

There are a few models to look at here