thames water annual report

tuolumne fisher

Reaction score
it runs to hundreds of pages, and no doubt they'd call it fully comprehensive
anyways 'aving 'ad a quick peek, I figured I'd post up some bits that I read properly;

14 million customers choose thames water because, they could be trusted, are easy to do business with, and really care
the customer satisfaction score has deterioated, pollution incidents per 1000km have increased by a third, with a rise in the number of serious pollution incidents
the company achieved 100% sewage treatment compliance against strict standards set by the EA
they've introduced new working patterns, closed pensions from final salary basis to career average, senior employees pensions have been put onto a defined contribution scheme
net interest on debt saw an increase of £24.9mil, underlying profit before tax reduced by £26.3mil, no doubt in part due to thames water cayman finance
OFWAT no longer require an annual return, instead a KPI, I think that stands for Key Performance Indicator
business in the community corporate responsibility index, target achieved
leakage index, target achieved
sewage treatment works compliance, target achieved
employee volunteering, target achieved
SSSI in favourable/unfavourable recovering condition, target achieved
between 2005 - 2012 26% reduction in leakage
20 incidents of pollution category 1 and 2
a target of 20% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions compared to 1990 levels
failed target on renewable energy generation
sewage treatment works capacity increased to treat additional 61,000 customers, means it can deal with new housing development for years to come

regulated water and sewage utilities benefit from strong investment grade credit ratings, based on a large asset base, predictable returns and a stable regulatory environment
as the company continues to supply an increasing population, the effects of climate change could adversely affect its ability to maintain its security of supply index requirements

opinions please folks

maceo

Reaction score
14 million customers choose thames water because, they could be trusted, are easy to do business with, and really care

Ha ha ha! They've got no shame have they?

I'm forced to have Thames water and I have as much 'choice' in the matter as I do in breathing air or not.

"Really care" my arse. About the directors' bonuses and shareholders' dividends maybe.

I wonder if there's space in all those pages to mention not creating any new reservoirs for decades and then declaring a "drought" just before 3 months of incessant rainfall. Bunch of bloody clowns.

Privatising the essential of life that is our water supply was scandalous at the time and remains so now. It needs to urgently come back into public ownership and control.

tuolumne fisher

Reaction score
spot on buddy, blatant lies that go unchallenged

a couple of things that caught my eye was the fall in underlying profit of £26.3 mil, and the increase in interest charges of £24.9 mil, despite finance operating through thames water cayman finance, meaning thames water cayman finance dont pay tax like the rest of us, and despite this its costing more, sounds like a rip of to me

sewage treatment works capacity increased by 61,000 customers, wots that 61,000 bedsits or 61, 000 5 bed family homes, lets hope its the former as they say it'll be enough to deal with new developments for years to come

and finally the acknowledgement that climate change may affect supply

maceo

Reaction score
Absolutely disagraceful that, by the sounds of it, they're operating a Jimmy Carr-style financial wheeze through the Cayman Islands.

Why?

The Thames doesn't run through the Cayman Islands last time I checked.

This is exactly the point I was making in my first post.

The basic necessity of the water supply should operate for and in the interests of all of us. The general public.

Not bonus grabbing self-interested suits operating out of some distant tax haven.