Idea for a FM monthly feature

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
This is my life

Each month a well known angler does a quick life story
Where and when they started fishing
Who their influences were/are
How they developed their style or what made they follow a particular angling path (match, carp, specimen)
Ambitions for the future

The series could take the form of Ian W interviewing anglers either with the same set of questions to each angler or the interview be free flowing

Ian could kick of the series himself, then next month Mark B, then maybe Ron Clay, then on to other anglers such as Mick Brown, Bob Nudd, Steve Ringer ect

What about it - would this type of thing be of interest?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Would bore the insides of my intestines out of me.

Sorry Lord, just an impulse, don't mean it.

Last edited:

cg74

Reaction score
Would bore the insides of my intestines out of me.

Sorry Lord, just an impulse, don't mean it.

I actually agree with your first comment (and I'll make no aopology for that). It's not that I don't like hearing anglers tale, coz I do. But reading a whole heap of I dones, no thanks!

If an angler was to include their background within an article, fine but they'll need to write it in an original manner.
I can't remember where I read it, but a while back I read (or was it listened, or watched:confused:) Chris Yates recounting his youth and what drew him into specimen (carp) angling, though I've never really been Chris's biggest fan. That truly was captivating but for all Chris's flaws, he has a great talent for captivating interest. A talent few others possess, certainly none of your (Paul) list at any rate. One exception might be Mark Barrett but I'm sure even he'll agree, he's no Chris Yates...

bennygesserit

Reaction score
What about an angler talking about non fishing subjects like

Whats your favourite football team
When ( and if ? ) did you lose your virginity ?

redfin123

Reaction score
hello m,lud I,ll give you one guess who,l be the first to tell us his life story.

barbelboi

Reaction score
You could have Chris Yates on 'this is my life' (or something that sounds similar) being interviewed by Bob James:wh
Jerry

Last edited:

cg74

Reaction score

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I actually agree with your first comment (and I'll make no aopology for that). It's not that I don't like hearing anglers tale, coz I do. But reading a whole heap of I dones, no thanks!

I would find it boring really just did not want to upset the Lord, people in high places and all that. Actually I am a hypocrite as I wrote an article once called "fishing with dad".

Maybe a bit of human interest would help. I started fishing because I was socially inept, Couldn't get a girlfriend, had no mates, girls used to laugh at me, father who wished I wasn't born sort of thing. You know the real reasons with some deep psychological insight. That might be more interesting.

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
Why do they have to be Famous ?

I think that YOU Lord Paul should start it off, and then see what follows. I am sure one or two others will join in.
I'd rather hear about everyday anglers than jumped up wanna be famous trumps who think they deserve a slot anyway.

So Paul, WHY do you like angling and what took you to that point?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Sorry, I couldn't care less and don't understand why anyone, but the individuals concerned, would. When people get overly interested in the lives of pop stars and like, many accuse them of being a bit sad. Celebrity culture is oft derided. What's the difference in wishing to read about the childhood and angling motivations of "famous" anglers? My only interest is in reading about their angling experiences or hints and tips they can give. I don't care to know their shoe size or career path.

In my experience, really good anglers can write perfectly good instructional books. Good writers can write good books of angling reminiscences, regardless of them being particularly good anglers. Rarely are really good anglers particularly good writers. When the two do coincide, they can write pretty much whatever they like and still remain interesting.