Telescopic vs Take Apart

The Gooner

Reaction score
I'm after a whip approximately 5 metres long. Are there any particular pros / cons with a "take apart" versus a telescopic version?

J

John McLaren

MiLord, I find the short ones with leather thongs to be far more convenient than anything as long as 5 metres, however I am not one of the upper crust so in deference I would suggest that the telescopic variety is perhaps quicker to use but less versatile (iemore fiddlyto use at short lengths).

Joey

Reaction score
The only advantage I can see with a take apart is that you can fish it at shorter lengths without having a length of pole behind you.

Don't take any advice from me, I am the Worlds worst pole angler.

P

Peter Jacobs (ACA, SAA, CA)

A Whip is telescopic and designed to be fished with the line-to-hand, i.e. a 5m whip would have 5m of line and is usually only used when fishing for small(ish) fish, or as a 'speed' method in matches.

A take-apart is a Pole and is designed to be used with only 3-5m of line requiring you to ship the pole backwards to the 'break' point where you detatch the top 3,4 or 5 seciots in order to land the fish.

Only Poles should be elasticated for obvious reasons.

I did an article on FM some time back on Short Whip fishing that you might find helpful, sadly I cannot master the link thing, but you can search on the title.

Hope this helps.

Joey

Reaction score
Peter, I know I'm probably being thick. If you are fishing a 5 metre telescopic pole with line to hand, what do you do with the rest of the pole if you only want to fish at 3metres?

P

Peter Jacobs (ACA, SAA, CA)

Joey,

No problem, Whips come in all sizes starting from about 1m right up to 10m and mostly in 0.5m intervals.

So you carry a selection for the venues that you fish regularly.

It does mean that you need a number of rigs for each length of whip that you intend to use.

Here is the link to the article which might explain it better:

http://www.fishingmagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/3177

Joey

Reaction score
Thanks Peter./forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Joey

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Ed wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>And heres a THE CLICKY LINK to Peters article</blockquote>
Ta Ed, I think FM should appoint you it's technical director. Just seen a news flash on the telly, the Monk's working today.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Joey wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote><blockquote class=quoteheader></blockquote><blockquote class=quote></blockquote>
Just seen a news flash on the telly, the Monk's working today.</blockquote>
It's on TeleText too .......... I wonder if Granada Reports will have a piece on it ?