wildlife..

Nobbie

Reaction score
otter.jpg

In the most part my fishing is the excuse to be sitting among wildlife and therefore i enjoy the company of most creatures, cormorants may push this belief?? Earlier in the week i took a walk on the banks of a club lake and watched 3 otters chump away at a shoal of roach im not sure how long a stocked water can sustain such an assault. although fantastic to watch it's tested my values a bit, particulary when they exited the lake at my feet. Amazing creatures but... (picture taken with my phone, that close)

The Gooner

Reaction score
Wow. I'd rather see otters and have fewer silver fish in the lake. Does that get me banned from this forum?? /forum/smilies/dont_tell_anyone_smiley.gif

Nobbie

Reaction score
The trouble is that i'm led to beleive that the otters will also prey on larger species and apparently some sizeable carp have been found mauled on the bank too - not sure how true that is but i have seen convincing pics. like you i love to see them and will be back with my SLR and larger lens to do these justice.

Nobbie

Reaction score
Im sure proper fencing will do the job along with some nicely constructed routes to the nearby trout fishery...

K

Keith Williams

I know of a lake in North wales containing stocked commons and mirrorsthat was totally wiped out by otters

The owner gave the project up after advice from the EA and other conservation bodiesthat the problem will not go away

Harsh words from the authoritiesbut definitely true

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Otters disapeared for a reason.....untill the reasons are looked at and readdressed then they should not be encourged.........for their sakes as much as fisheries.

K

Keith Williams

The main reason for the demise of otterswas the misuse and lack of understanding of the outcome of spraying the herbicidebetter know as DDT better knownDichlorodiphenyltrichloroethaneon the banksof watercourses and surrounding fields in the late 50's and 60's. DDT is an Organochlorine contact insecticide

The other cause was to a lesser extent hunting by otter hounds

The insecticide went right into the food chain and cause untold damage to river invertebrates that fed fish especially eels which were obviously food for otters and as DDT stayed in the animals system it also destroyed reproductive ability of the animal

The insecticide is now banned from use in the UKnearly twenty years ago so you can see how insiduous and long lasting its impact has been before the mammal have been able to regain its place in nature.

What wasn't envisaged by anglers was the artificial placing of Otters in certain river catchments and the building of Otter holts in collaboration with the former NRA and EA who have in some regards been responsible for the increasing damage from mammal predation on fish stocks and now irreversible.

These are facts that are easily obtained using the Freedom of Information Act

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

And their food supply is also endangered by other things...eg, fewer eels, more predation on our existing fish stocks etc etc....a full grown otter doesn't choose small silvers.....so Gooners beloved carp will soon disapear (hopefully to be replaced by more silvers/forum/smilies/thinking_smiley.gif)

It's not really rocket science is it?.....the artificial placement of otters is wrong.

JIMMY---PAAS

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Paul (Brummie) Williams wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Otters disapeared for a reason.....untill the reasons are looked at and readdressed then they should not be encourged.........for their sakes as much as fisheries.</blockquote>
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Paul (Brummie) Williams wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

And their food supply is also endangered by other things...eg, fewer eels, more predation on our existing fish stocks etc etc....a full grown otter doesn't choose small silvers.....so Gooners beloved carp will soon disapear (hopefully to be replaced by more silvers/forum/smilies/thinking_smiley.gif)

It's not really rocket science is it?.....the artificial placement of otters is wrong.</blockquote>

Its NOT so funny now is it.

Paul Good post mate.

The Gooner

Reaction score
Now I see some of you folks are sensitive about the subject. Apart from the odd wildlife program, I'm talking from a position of ignorance so will defer to your better judgement.

Apologies for any offence. Trust me, none was intended as I had no idea of the detrimental impact these animals could potentially cause.

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

No offence mate.......i thought your comment was tongue in cheek.

I for one would be exstatic if the time were right to give our native wildlife a helping hand.

Problem is we don't get a say in it, some tw*t with a degree makes the choices, even if they know sweet FA about the true prevailing conditions.