rod sections stuck

bennygesserit

Reaction score
There was a thread on gofishing that recommends one each end pulling and turning while tapping the section area with your hand.

terry m

Reaction score
Yes, the hair dryer will work as long as you primarily warm up the outside (female) joint.

Personally I would avoid WD40. If you get it on your hands or the blanks you will never move it. Once apart, clean the joints of grit and muck. A little bit of polish on the male joint will serve better than WD40. Keep crud from entering the female joint.

chubb man

Reaction score
hold the rod behind your knees grasp either side of the joint and push using your legs ie open your legs ive done this loads of times with my sons rods. it works every time ps arms on the outside of your legs so your legs push and hands grip

Last edited:

chubb man

Reaction score
glad it worked for you. ive been there two strong blokes having a tug of war.an old boy showed me that way and ive never had a rod that would not come apart.so all you lot forget about hot water hair dryers and wd40. take note. it works.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
I've had conflicting advice: one school of thought is that the problem is grit and general crud jammed in the joint, locking it.

The other is that the surfaces are so clean and smooth that you've got, in parts, at least, an all too perfect fit, and you're trying to create a vacuum when you pull them apart. They'd advocate scratching the male joint lightly with sandpaper to prevent this, rather than polishing the joint .

A third says that no matter which is right, a couple of streaks - lengthwise - of candle-wax down the male joint will create a yielding bit of clearance and prevent it happening again. I leant towards the third, but watch out for grit sticking to the wax. Give the male a dust-off with a cloth (rod-bag) before assembling, just in case.

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
Tis fine if you have hair ........

I read Chubb Man explanation over and over and i still have a puzzled look on my face .... how do you grip the rod between your knees if you open your legs ???????

**** me i think i must be getting thicker as time goes on hahahahaha

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
There i read it again :

hold the rod behind your knees, grasp either side of the joint and push using your legs ie open your legs

Still says, open your legs :confused:

In works better in theory.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Steph

stand up straight, put the rod behind your knees (bending your knees slightly to do this) grip the 2 stuck sections with your hand on the outside of your knee - now push your legs outwards in opposite direction which pushes your hand outwards - the rod section come apart

little oik

Reaction score
Try putting either candle wax on the joints or graphite grease to stop it happening again.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I think the main reason the 2 sections got stuck was that the rod is a short 8-10ft TFG all rounder and I had left the butt section and the middle section made up for months as it fitted in the car like that and just swapped the avon top for the fedder top as and when