Fishing behind bridge supports.

Reaction score
Ok so im going to go on the trent sometime soon and never really fished whole heartedly for barbel. As in the title im thinking of going next to a bridge and fishing directly after the stansions/ supports where the water is churning up. How would you fish this? Im thinking of launching a few spods of hemp, halibut pellets and maybe elips pellets out into the churning water. Then I was thinking of fishing with an open ended feeder with more halibut pellets (soft) and hemp in and either a 16mm halibut pellet or elips pellet on the hair rig.
Does this sound ok?
Thanks

jasonbean1

Reaction score
good luck...any first off attempt requires a beach rod, 50lb line and popped up pellets

bridges are usually just a mass of balders and tree trunks waiting to take your tackle...you never know you might just find a clear one

again good luck

maceo

Reaction score
It's one of those fellas with a thinning crown who you can mentally note is balder than yourself.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Most the barbel I've seen when looking over bridges are midway between the bridge supports. Fishing behind the pillars/supports is better for predators in my experience, so if it's barbel you want, fish the main flow.

---------- Post added at 09:30 ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 ----------

Bridge supports are usually built on fabricated underwater 'islands', which are often boat-shaped to help prevent the flow undermining the support. To get behind these means fishing 5 to 10 ft behind the pillar itself

Reaction score
Brilliant Ill give both tactics a go then thanks. If I can find a weight big enough to hold bottom :) It is the trent!

Last edited:

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
In which case you might care to avail yourself of Paul Fisk's feeders, I was put onto them by other FM forum members myself and they are excellent - have a read of this by our esteemed editor:

"Fisky’s Fantastic Feeders
I used to use ‘standard’ heavy feeders and load them up with ‘dead cow’ leads so they would hold station in serious conditions until Martin Hemington (thanks Martin) put me in touch with Paul Fisk.

Fisky’s handmade jobs are well designed, perfectly sized and are available with a loading of up to 8oz. Nothing more to say really they are quite simply the best heavy feeders in the world – ever (Ha...that will upset someone....) and I don’t know how I managed without them"

....and everyone I've met says the same.

barbelbuster

Reaction score
If its the tidal trent and your thinking about Dunham, don't even try you will loose tackle all day.
there were several posts about the reinforcing they did on the pillars a year or so back.
If it was snaggy before then then its 10 times worse after.