Alan Scothorne

Huw (ACA) Bsc Hons

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I've not visited here for sometime, so many apologies for that.

Also manyapologies for being a subscriber to IYCF. On many occasions the articles seem to merely regurgitate previous ones ad-infinitum. But, the editors comment in this months issue got me thinking.

Alan Scothorne, 5 times individual World Champion, and never a mention in "Sports Personality of the Year".

As is stated in the article, if this were someone from any other sport, they would have probably been knighted by now.

I have never considered how the "personalities" gain access to this hallowed BBC programme, I can only assume that there is some form of voting process. Now, if this process is based on public support; and there are as many anglers as are claimed. Surely if we all raised our hands, or clicked our mouses', we could at the very least get Alan a mention, even get him recognised by other sportsmen.

Anyone think this a good idea, or a waste of time? I'm just trying to come up with some ideas to raise the positive side of our sport, as all we tend to see in mainstream press are the negatives.

M

mark norris (ACA)

I believe that this was tried some years ago, not with Alan Scothorne, and the anti angling BBC moved the goal posts to exclude all anglers votes and enfoce their choice of runner or overpaid ball kicker.

The Monk

Reaction score
"Hello everyone, I've not visited here for sometime, so many apologies for that."

well I`m sorry Huw your apologies simply aint good enough, you casually strolled in here whenever you like while the rest of us, like me Ed and Cakey are working our little fingers to the bone posting dailey to keep FM on the straight and narrow/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

E

Evan NotMightyAtAll

You may be straight but the gruesome twosome..... ? tho Cakey is I suppose enviably narrow.... and who knows what you hide under that voluminous tent like garb.

And welcome back Huw, always nice to see someone with a good Welsh name posting on here /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Oh, and what he /\ said about the BBC..... you can now only vote for one of their five or six specially hand selected nominees, with a hefty dose of 'fix' in and all. It's not real or democratic, its just telly....

The Monk

Reaction score
bludi welsh will be taking over soon,
how are you lads coping with the scouse invasion up Norf, Rhyls like Kirby these days

Huw (ACA) Bsc Hons

Reaction score
So sorry to have left you working so hard in my absence, I'm afraid it was unavoidable....nursing a severly ill mother who hasn't discovered the joys of a computer yet, ( and probably never will ).

I'm really glad to see that Ed and Cakey have been keeping up the good work, (loving the reel by the way Cakey). Monk youreally should not hang on the successes of others you know. It doesn't become you mate.

Oh and by the way, it's not so much an invasion from Keerbie to Rhyl; more a slow trickle across the border to live a better life, and get FREE prescriptions while still working in England getting better wages.

Anyhoo, what about if "we", that is the members of this devout on-line angling society, got our oar in first and got a petition together, surely with enough signatories even the all Hallowed BBC would have to take some sort of notice. Even if it's just recognition for services to the sport, like a 'life time acheivement award', or some such?

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Is Alan Scothorne as famous as Bob Roberts (whoever he is )???

M

mark norris (ACA)

It may be something to do with me not being a Welshman, but I am cynical enough to believe that regardless of what we do, the BBC will not take the slightest notice of us.

According to them we are only there to be villified as bird killers or derided as poor deluded cretins ( worm at one end,fool at the other )

While the beeb is run by trendy left wing urbanite tree huggers we will get NO positive coverage.

The Monk

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Ed wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Is Alan Scothorne as famous as Bob Roberts (whoever he is )???</blockquote>
nobody`s as famous as Bob Roberts, hes one of the biggest cults on here/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Your ****slecksia playin you up Nick? /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Huw (ACA) Bsc Hons wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>I thought you were one of the biggest cults on here Monk/forum/smilies/surprised_smiley.gif</blockquote>
Cults? I think you mispelt Cults Huw, there is an 'n' somewhere I think

eel611

Reaction score
I'm sure twit isnt spelt with an 'A' .as for 'sport personality' I dont think the great unwashed of our nationregard fishing as such.

Huw (ACA) Bsc Hons

Reaction score
They should try fishing a match, instead of sitting on their sofas' watching one. Soon find out how competitive fishing can be.

Bob Nudd for President!!!