Why Would Anyone....

maceo

Reaction score
Pay £1.75 or more for a tin of sweetcorn in the tackle shop?

I don't mean the flavoured or coloured varieties, just plain ol' yellow sweetcorn in water of the type on sale in the supermarket for 48p.

In fact, the supermarket tin is larger.

I know the tackle trade and bait salesmen are able to constantly get us to buy, but this one mystifies me.

Who buys it? Surely not too many people.

Dynamite-300x269.gif

sam vimes

Reaction score
Beats me, but someone must be buying it. Same kind of story as the tackle shops that stock Green Giant corn and Plumrose/Spam meat but at twice, or three times, the price that the supermarkets sell it. I can only presume that some never, ever set foot in a supermarket. The only other reasons I can think of paying through the nose in such a manner is laziness or forgetfulness.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Well i did - paid £1.20. Not usually, but couldnt be bothered to park up and go to Tescos down the road. If someone was to offer me the price difference to go into bloody Tescos i would happily decline. Best way is to get the wife to pick some up when she is doing the shopping instead.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score

You can also chuck a can of plain supermarket corn in with the flavoured corn it comes out pretty well. My club has a ban on tin cans, so you have to decant it into plastic containers anyway.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Pay £1.75 or more for a tin of sweetcorn in the tackle shop?

As far as I'm concerned; it is purely for the sake of convenience.

I am away from home for 10 days every 14 days, therefore only have 4 days at home every fortnight. So, I prefer not to spend my time in supermarkets (Waitrose deliver) and as I'm in the tackle shop anyway getting maggots etc., it is just too easy to get the sweet corn as well.

Like Ray my clubs and syndicate have a ban of cans so its a simple matter of decanting into a bait box and my friendly tackle shop owner disposes of the tin.

As the meerkat says . . . . . . simples!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
why not add tins of sweet corn to your delivery order Peter?

I could do I suppose, its just easy enough to get it at the tackle shop as I'm there anyway.

In years gone by I used to buy the regular corn and flavour it myself, but to be honest, I have not noticed any differene on results using the ready-flavoured stuff

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Normally i go for the cheapest lowest quality corn i can find for hookbaits - the ropey stuff but which has more grains where the kernel intact and these grains have more fibre to hook into but are still "juicy" inside. The more expensive stuff is softer and less reliable on the hook (i am not using hairs/hair stops) and has fewer grains like that. I am very particular when choosing a grain to mount on a hook, until my favoured type runs out.

Last edited:

maceo

Reaction score
Would that be Lidl's 'Freshona' corn, Chubontheblock?

I find that's just ideal.

Cheap, big juicy grains and as you say, the edge is a little harder for hooking.

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
Bloody Sweetcorn Bait Tarts, that is what you are ... i bet each grain of corn has DB written on it if you look under a Blue UV lamp :D

terry m

Reaction score
In answer to the original question, tis simply to catch forgetful or the impulse buy types.

Let's face it, many of the guys that frequent tackle shops are not likely to know the price of a tin of JGG in Sainsbury are they?

Thy must sell it or they wouldn't give shelf space over to it.

flightliner

Reaction score
I was using Lidl,s "Freshona" yesterday and will be using it tomorrow, Ive used pretty much all brands but that is up there with the best.
The question compares to hemp as well, why buy a jar of Dynamites stuff when for a fraction of the price you can get just as much-- the differance will give you a gallon of deisal that gets you bankside in many cases.