Review - Grey?s X-Flite Landing Net

G

Geoff Dawe

Why should cost be a reason for marking down an item in your review.

You would only buy it if you could afford it in the first place.

I guess by the same token that a Porsche is pretty poor but a Kia is a cracking bit of kit. Hmmm.

E

EC

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Geoff Dawe wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

I guess by the same token that a Porsche is pretty poor but a Kia is a cracking bit of kit. Hmmm.</blockquote>

Cost is a reason for marking down an item in a reviewbecause it may not offer value for money, whether someone can afford it or not makes no difference.

G

Geoff Dawe

Fair point Eddie, but it specifically states in the review that it was aquality item and would have been rated higher if it had been cheaper!

My point is, that if you took the overall score as your guide to how good the item is, then you could be missing out on, or overlooking, a good bit of kit just because of the price.

If you were conducting a grouptest, it would be fair to say that one item was the best overall value for money, and another item was the best overall bit of kit, but when you are only reviewing one item, then it seems to me, that you can only say how good or bad it is and leave it up to the punter to decide if he wants to spend that much money on it.

Geoff

F

Frothey

Someone once wrote of a reel'IF CARLSBERG BUILT REELS'
Strengths:
Beautifully engineered, super smooth, excellent line lay.
Weaknesses:
None that I can tell.

Overall:
Just a pleasure and joy to use. Can only think that "tenga" (above), works for Fox or has a Chinese replica!!!

Performance100%

Quality100%

Value60%

Overall Rating87%

and they (/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif) also marked it down for some reason for value - I think whilst it was well made, whether it could justify the money (knowing how much a carbon tube costs) it was a bit much, and as said in the review, should've come with a net float.

but then its only my opinion!

F

Frothey

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Geoff Dawe wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

I guess by the same token that a Porsche is pretty poor but a Kia is a cracking bit of kit. Hmmm.</blockquote>
The difference is a porsche has a performance advantage over a kia (unless you are looking for fuel economy and cheap running costs!), one 42" landing net with a 6ft pole doesn't "perform" any better than another.

G

Geoff Dawe

Excellent bit of detective work. You must have more time on your hands than me and I'm on the sick at the mo. (Self employed). However you are dead right, I made exactly the same stupid mistake in my review. Wont happen again.

However I bet you would prefer the Porsche net if your Kia one snapped off at the spreader as you tried to land one of your French fifties!

By the way, I thoroughly enjoyed your informative and interesting carping series of articles.

F

Frothey

I've got loads of time on my hands now i'm entirely de-sensitised to internet p*rn lol!

However I bet you would prefer the Porsche net

Thats the one I own..... with my own money.....

Dont get me wrong, I'm a total label tart in all area's of my "interests", its just that at least I know I'm wasting the money, and it doesn't make me any better as an angler.... which wouldn't be that difficult /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gifYou see too many people wasting so much money on kit they don't need/won't make a difference, then moan about bait prices/club costs/etc. Still, their choice though!

Thanks for the comments /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

G

Geoff Dawe

I meant series of carping articles, not carping series of articles!