Session fishing....at what point do you get bored?

dave11

Reaction score
After a 15 year break and as i am 15 years older :rolleyes: i have found i get bored a lot quicker than i used too regarding session fishing. After 2 days of my own company i am bored and pack up. The 1st day is so relaxing but the second boredom start to set in and then after 2 nights the boredom sets in. Are others on the same wavelength...About 48 hrs?

maceo

Reaction score
Never.

It's always a reluctant decision to move towards packing up. Using up the last of the bait, drinking the last dregs of coffee out of the flask and trying a few last casts.

But then the longest I do is at this time of the year with the long days.

So from maybe 5am through to around 7pm or so. Don't bother doing over night.

agamemnon

Reaction score
i get bored when the wife phones me and tells me its time to come home :)

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I wouldn't say bored but 2-3 hour sessions are more enjoyable. Only take a small amount of gear, do not need to take replacements for everything just in case. You stay alert for that amount of time. Mostly if the fishing is dead in that time it is likely to be the same all day. The option of staying longer always there if the fish are feeding. I admit it is sometimes worth waiting for the late evening period but, in my experience this is often a let down.
I used to fish all day sessions quite a lot and they were enjoyable but, yes, they could get incredibly dull and I could fall asleep/ get bored, lose concentration and as to carrying all the necessary requisitions, just a pain. I prefer the short regime now. Able to move quickly and try different swims if need be etc. Stay longer if the signs are good - not everyone's good idea but, I have lent towards this lately.

terry m

Reaction score
After a 15 year break and as i am 15 years older :rolleyes: i have found i get bored a lot quicker than i used too regarding session fishing. After 2 days of my own company i am bored and pack up. The 1st day is so relaxing but the second boredom start to set in and then after 2 nights the boredom sets in. Are others on the same wavelength...About 48 hrs?

Blimey, 48 hours in I am just starting to relax!

Boredom does not blight my fishing, if it did I would not bother going!

dave11

Reaction score
In my experience over 35 years apart from a small break its very rare i see anglers do more than 48hrs whether work commits them or otherwise.:)

Boredom does blight my fishing but only after a certain period but it takes nothing away my enthusiasm for the sport or the Enjoyment.

Last edited:

chav professor

Reaction score
Short sessions are far more productive. All focus and attention are on one rod, react to your surroundings without being hampered by session gear - i fish much sharper on a short 1 or 2hr trip.

Much sessions have their place - especially as a social occasion... but I do them less and less..

B

Berty

Short sessions are far more productive. All focus and attention are on one rod, react to your surroundings without being hampered by session gear - i fish much sharper on a short 1 or 2hr trip.

Much sessions have their place - especially as a social occasion... but I do them less and less..

Thats all dependant on the venue!.............i know of huge pits with a few massive bream where those tactics would only suit catching tadpoles!

dave11

Reaction score
That depends if you are doing a long session moving around or sitting there. if you are talking about the latter i completely disagree however obviously a long session roving stands to reason that just the length of time will produce especially on a gravel pit

chav professor

Reaction score

Short 'hit' definitely suit some venues better than others... I do fish sessions, but get frustrated at the lack of mobility....

Also, big rivers do require a lot of feed and have active shoals of fish that can move in at any time. Get it right and catching does negate the boredom factor.

But with reference to the large pits with populations of specimen fish - sessions are the way to go!

skullsat

Reaction score
Never.

It's always a reluctant decision to move towards packing up. Using up the last of the bait, drinking the last dregs of coffee out of the flask and trying a few last casts.

But then the longest I do is at this time of the year with the long days.

So from maybe 5am through to around 7pm or so. Don't bother doing over night.

Exactly the same but i won't stop till about 10ish,i've been fishing since the late 60's and never get bored,if the fishing's slow i'll just set up a float rod and have a go for anything that's around.

ps maybe you should do a few shorter sessions,say 24hrs at a time that way you can try different swims,nice to change the scenery sometimes.

dannytaylor

Reaction score
about two days for me, like others hate lugging session gear around. Have to laugh at tvs with free view and generators i go fishing to get away from all this ****.

blounty65

Reaction score
i can honestly say that i never get bored when im fishing and due to my circumstances i fish most days of the week, if im catching ...im not bored. if im not catching maybe im doing something wrong so i try different methods and baits so not bored. i find every session relaxing there is nothing better than being out in the fresh air with nice countryside around you. its the likes of the tv,telephone, bills and hangers on that i get bored with

jasonbean1

Reaction score
i've only got into doing long sessions for the last few years, mainly on a big river. if the river was local to me i would be prebaiting and do short sessions, that's not an option though. the stretch i fish normally takes 2 nights to get going and usually the third is the best. luckily my job is flexible so if i fancy it i will stay for the fourth night.

i have managed to break the days down into a structure that stops me getting bored, optimises the swim and also turns it into a bit of social. in the summer the timetable tends to go like this.

first night arrive, bait dropper **** loads of hemp, boiles and pellets in set up and and get a couple of rods out on alarms.on occassions despite filling it in you can catch straight off which in the past as caught me out and after a few beers i managed to fall in head first trying to untangle a small chub which had wrapped itself round the other rod! anyway on the first night i normally fish till about 12 and then get my head down for a couple of hours till first light.put a bit more bait in and then fish till about 7.

then bring the rods in, get in the car go down to mcdonalds have a wash, brush the teeth, breakfast, read the paper and have a play on the internet.

back to the swim about 9 have a couple more hours kip walk up the river to the pub, have a few beers, meal and chat to the locals.

get back to the swim about 3 fill it in again a, couple more beers, couple of hours kip then up at 8 and then fish through the night, if it's quiet a couple of hours sleep.

fortunately where i fish is very quiet and i have no problems leaving all my kit on the bank unattended. the days fly by and normally by the third night the fishing's bang on and i tend to stay for the forth night. i tend to do these long sessions after a busy few weeks at work when you just want to get away from everyone........ Just hope i don't get back from the pub one day and all the kit as gone :eek:

however variety is the spice of life, last sunday i fished a club match on the thames and 16lb of roach for a win on the waggler...i think i enjoyed that more though.

cheers
jason

blounty65

Reaction score
sounds like you got it well sussed jason. i fish most days because i love it and probably because i am a little obsessed i often think when im pushing the barrow back home and knowing im coming back the following morning why dont i do a few nights. i think that every week but not done anything about it yet