back leads

nicky

Reaction score
If back leads are so important to keep line close to the bottom as not to spook wary carp how come matchmen never use them when quiver tipping.

I can understand if its a real easy venue where bites come thick and fast as it wouldn't be practical and would slow you down costing fish but on harder larger venues surely if it was that important and could get a bonus fish someone would have thought of trying it

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
You can use an olivette or rig putty as a back lead on a feeder line but in most cases I would rather see line bites and come shorter to find the fish.

sam vimes

Reaction score
There's a few possible reasons. Matchmen are generally fishing much lighter line. Matchmen will only have one rod as opposed to two, three or even four.
Many matchmen want to see line bites.

nicky

Reaction score
I can see what your saying on all counts as i use these indications myself but i was just wondering if its such a good tactic why its not used to catch more fish.
I gotta be honest i fish match style and specimen and played about with tight lines, slack lines , shrink tube, without shrink tube and i have found it not to make much difference to the amount of bites i get,

This is similar to a thread i started a few weeks ago i suppose specimen vs match style.

Where i said i catch allot more fish using 8lb match line and quiver than using 12lb sensor hidden or back leaded etc.

The fish are hitting the line which is why you see line bites but it cant be spooking them that much as i still catch plenty of fish

barbelboi

Reaction score
The fish are hitting the line which is why you see line bites but it cant be spooking them that much as i still catch plenty of fish

Would this be on heavily stocked commercials or sparsely populated pits?
Jerry

sam vimes

Reaction score
I think you are looking a bit too deeply into it. Use the same rigs as you would quivertipping and strike at every (light) bobbin movement and you'll probably get similar results. I'd suggest that adding a backlead, another ounce or so, to a rig is only going to make it a little less sensitive. Sooner or later, all you'll see is screaming runs. I'll bet that for every screamer you'll get at least one pickup that you won't even be aware of. Chances are you would see something on a quiver.

The only reason that I use backleads is when I'm using a multi-rod setup, particularly when fishing in darkness. Saves a hooked fish plowing through your lines.

dezza

Reaction score
Back leads and the correct use of them is a fascinating subject.

Their use may have come about as a result of the use of a heavy bite indicator placed on the line above and beyond the rod tip by South African anglers. This they have done for at least 100 years. This has the tendency of course to pin the line down as close to the bottom as possible.

Certainly today, all successful SA carp anglers use back-leads when fishing at any distance.

If you are using a quiver tip in conjunction with a feeder, it would be advantageous to have the tip as close to the water's surface as possible. The use of 100% fluorocarbon lines which are heavier than nylon could also help keep the line down in the water.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Ron The Hat Clay;1161341 If you are using a quiver tip in conjunction with a feeder said:
Yes keep the tip close to the surface but No flouro mainline.
Fish are more likely to spook brushing against a line they can't see.

nicky

Reaction score
Sam im positive you are correct i think you miss alot of bites on carp setup just dont see them.

I make my own method feeders that i use with the quiver and are fairly heavy at 32grams unloaded and i hook 99 % of the bites i get be it full wrap around or drop back they nearly always on thats the same for bream tench and carp.

i dont strike at knocks as i think they are either line bites or more likely the feeder being nudged

---------- Post added at 18:43 ---------- Previous post was at 18:41 ----------

don't have any pits around where i live most of the lakes i fish are well stocked with carp but not as easy as most commercials.

I am fishing a pond of an acre or so tomorrow though that is not at all heavily stocked and i still catch more on quiver.

terry m

Reaction score
There can be no dispute that pinning the line down it advantageous, especially when targetting old wise fish. It's benefit when pasty bashing is of course much much less.

I rarely carp fish on the bottom without both leadcore and a flying backlead. I cannot get usedto the clip on back leads, but the Korda flyers are great and easy to use.