caught fishing in close season.

redfin123

Reaction score
whats your thoughts on bob james fishing in close season, he reckons it was a mistake, *******s.

chubb man

Reaction score
any decent angler no's when the season starts & finnishes so there's no excuse. i chucked 3 of a local pond the week before season started.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
LOL....his mistake was getting caught !

Being serious it seems a bit wierd such a high profile angler who makes a living (or at least I thought he does) from angling putting it at risk by fishing in the closed season. Then again I suppose he might think the closed seasons a load of bollards (as I do) and just gone for it.

Is it actually true or is this just a belated April fool ?

dezza

Reaction score
Being serious it seems a bit wierd such a high profile angler who makes a living (or at least I thought he does) from angling putting it at risk by fishing in the closed season. Then again I suppose he might think the closed seasons a load of bollards (as I do) and just gone for it.

Although I think that the current timing of the closed season on rivers is a load of old bollacks, I would never fish a river inside this period.

And neither should any other angler, especially people of the ilk of Mr. James.

flightliner

Reaction score
Is it true what I,ve heard that people actually pay £400 per day to fish with him---- is any one that good?

maceo

Reaction score
Wasn't there a TV crew or something involved?

If he was just filming by the river about how to set up a rig, or even filming sections talking to the camera where he'd got a line in (say) but no hook on the end, then he'd be within the law alright wouldn't he?

It's precisely because he'd be very aware of the season start and end dates that he would be most unlikely to be foolish enough to do it and get caught.

I think we really ought to hear his side, which'll no doubt come out soon enough, before condemning him.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I happen to think that the close season is a load of old cobblers. However, I wouldn't dream of being on a river bank with any gear during the close season. After a conversation with an EA bailiff, that was convinced that he'd pull you if he caught you pre-baiting in the close season, I won't even walk the banks with a bucket of bait. Simply not worth the potential hassle with an official that I happen to believe is making laws up himself.

I don't know what the circumstances are in this case and I'm not really bothered. I don't wish Bob James any ill, but I hope that the case is conducted as it would be for any average fishing Joe. If he was fishing, he gets fined, if not, he doesn't. Anything else is irrelevant to me.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sam,
I don't think the Bailiff would have a leg to stand on if he decided to ''have you'' and take the matter to court. How would they prove you were actually fishing if there was no tackle they could confiscate?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Sam,
I don't think the Bailiff would have a leg to stand on if he decided to ''have you'' and take the matter to court. How would they prove you were actually fishing if there was no tackle they could confiscate?

Neither do I. However, a bailiff could easily convince a copper that hasn't got a clue. I can't afford any entanglement with the police, so as I know that particular EA bailiff operates in my area, it's not worth the hassle. It concerns me that people whose job it is to uphold laws seem to be able to interpret them fairly randomly at their own whim.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Although I think that the current timing of the closed season on rivers is a load of old bollacks, I would never fish a river inside this period.

And neither should any other angler, especially people of the ilk of Mr. James.

I said that I thought the closed season was a load of bollards.

I never said anyone should fish during the closed season....so why quote me and write that....what you on about ?

blounty65

Reaction score
At the end of the day if it was any of us the EA would not listen to our excuses and we would be prosecuted. whether he had a film crew with him or not is no excuse the guy is a pro and makes his living from fishing and should be setting an example. I say fair play to the EA guys who caught him, he must of had a line in the water else they woulddnt have bothered him so tell me where is the misunderstanding. its just another case of him thinking im a pro and i can do what i like... well just cough up and pay your fine oh and you better get down the job centre...

terry m

Reaction score
I cannot imagine what excuse BJ would have but it sounds as though he has been caught red handed.

Disappointing to think the integrity of such a high profile angler is questionable.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Neither do I. However, a bailiff could easily convince a copper that hasn't got a clue. I can't afford any entanglement with the police, so as I know that particular EA bailiff operates in my area, it's not worth the hassle. It concerns me that people whose job it is to uphold laws seem to be able to interpret them fairly randomly at their own whim.

Sam,
Down here in sunny Chesterfield we have loads of ''uniformed jobs worth's'' you know the sort, to thick to get in to the Police, Army, fire service and such, so they become traffic wardens, security guards and even EA bailiffs! There is (was) a bailiff that used to patrol Ladybower on opening day a few years ago and he was a real proper Hitler, he had this rule that if you were stood in 2 inch of water you were wading, which wasn't allowed at the time and it did not seem to make any difference to him that he was an EA bailiff and not a fishery bailiff and so it was not really any of his business :eek:mg:

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Having bought the Anglers Mail whilst in Tesco's yesterday, just so i could read the article, i'm intrigued by this quote from Bob James...........

"I was fishing. It's all a misunderstanding. I have worked with the Environment Agency for many years and the last thing I would want to do is waste any of their money or their time. I shall be meeting with their legal department on July 3 and will, under oath, give a statement"

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Having bought the Anglers Mail whilst in Tesco's yesterday

I am uncertainn as to what is worse there Merv; actually paying for the Anglers Mail or admitting to shopping in Tesco . . . . LOL

I think that there is a lot still to come from this alleged incident but would advise caution . . . . . . . . . this is what I posted on the other thread regarding this issue:

Until and unless the full details of this alleged incident are made public, then I would suggest, as a safegurd to the owners of FM, that members refrain from making accusations based on supposition.

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
I am uncertainn as to what is worse there Merv; actually paying for the Anglers Mail or admitting to shopping in Tesco . . . . LOL

Until and unless the full details of this alleged incident are made public, then I would suggest, as a safegurd to the owners of FM, that members refrain from making accusations based on supposition.

Bl##dy h#ll Peter.....i'll admit to it, I WAS shopping in Tesco's, no need for a caution warning :eek::eek::D