Where do you store your tackle?

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just curious as to where you guy's keep your tackle at home?
I have always kept my gear in the house in the spare room (apart from the smelly nets of course) as I was always concerned that it might get nicked if I kept it in the shed!
One of my friends said that I am very lucky that I am allowed to keep it indoors as his other half as told him ''over my dead body'' is that stuff coming in this house :)
So guys, how many of you are allowed to keep your gear indoors? and how many of you are relegated to the shed/garage my your ''better'' halves?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
No "other half" as I'm happily divorced, however, I still prefer to keep all of my kit in my garage.

To this end I had a chap build me a cabinet that is 1m deep, 4.5 m wide and 2m high, complete with doors so everything goes in there.

Well, except my rod and pole holdalls which are suspended from the roof beams by large "U" brackets. Chairs and bedchairs etc. are hung from the end wall again on smaller "U" brackets, and bait boxes and other luggage is on a rack of shelves on the far side.
My electric boat engine rests outside of the cupboards as do things like the power-walker and other barrows.

Only my bivvy, sleeping bag, winter cover etc are kept in the house in a cupboard under the stairs.

I used to keep everything in the dinning room, but decided I would like to have that room back in is original use, hence the cupboards and racks in the garage.

Last edited:
B

Berty

I have a small room attached to the utility room where the gear most in use is kept, it's ready to simply add bait and go.

Less frequently used gear is up the loft (fitted folding step ladder, just for tackle ;) )......but bits can be found dotted about the house, a rod or two up the side of the wardrobe, a reel amongst the missus's ornaments.....untill she threatens to bury them if i don't move em :)

A

alan whittington

Are you a professional tackle thief Mark :D,getting fellas to tell you where they keep their tackle,i keep mine in the house and like Chav,all over the house.;)

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Funny you should say that Alan, we have just been informed at work that the holiday rota board on the foreman's desk will no longer have associates (that's what our German bosses call us) names on it because as part of the new Data protection laws they cannot show who is away on holiday as it might ''encourage'' Burglaries...The worlds gone bloody mad :D

---------- Post added at 09:35 ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 ----------

If so then he is totally out of luck . . . . my garage is fully alarmed, space protected and has Police response calls as well . . . . . . . . .

You're OK Peter, I am not going to come all the way to Wiltshire just to pinch a bit of second hand fishing tackle as I have better things to do with my time ;)

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Funny you should say that Alan, we have just been informed at work that the holiday rota board on the foreman's desk will no longer have associates (that's what our German bosses call us) names on it because as part of the new Data protection laws they cannot show who is away on holiday as it might ''encourage'' Burglaries...The worlds gone bloody mad :D

What really ? that's mad ! However I have spent a good few hours last week negotiating somewhere to put a coffee pot that my mate had on his desk that Elf and Safety deemed to be dangerous , so I can well believe it.

My stuff is in my metal shed and I have two large dogs so fingers crossed.

My Son cannot keep his motocross bike in it as insurance say it has to be kept in a brick building , he keeps it in a mates garage but unfortuantely his mate was burgled and one of my sons bikes was stolen , Lift up garage doors can be opened very very quickly so he has had to reinforce the doors to make them more difficult to open - he used scaffold poles I think.

The bikes are also chained to very heavy bolts sunk into the floor and his mate has installed an alarm and cctv.

The bikes are also now insured at 100 a year each.

I would recommend checking the details of your insurance policy and even phoning up and asking what happens if your tackle gets lifted from your shed.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
You're OK Peter, I am not going to come all the way to Wiltshire just to pinch a bit of second hand fishing tackle as I have better things to do with my time

If you only knew Mark, if you only knew.

Being relatively new to FM you may not be aware that most of the old members here refer to me as . . . . not 'a' but the Tackle Tart

LOL

agamemnon

Reaction score
my mrs tried the "over my dead body" speech when i first moved in with her and all my tackle moved into the house. she tried pointing to this poxy little shed in the back garden in the middle of a council estate in milton keynes and said that is where my tackle can live. i had a good laugh and cleared a cupboard out under the stairs. no way is my tackle living outside the main house

skullsat

Reaction score
Mines all in it's own spare room,learned the hard way and used to store it in the garage but had loads nicked in 95 while i was in hospital,luckily enough the better stuff was safe in the house.

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
If so then he is totally out of luck . . . . my garage is fully alarmed, space protected and has Police response calls as well . . . . . . . . .

So you no longer keep it in the vault of the local Bank..:)

In the office/paper store/junk store/library/gym or whatever you wish to call our spare bedroom,(no bed in it). Nets only in garage, roller doors as was told by installers that they're more secure than up and over.

B

Berty

If you only knew Mark, if you only knew.

Being relatively new to FM you may not be aware that most of the old members here refer to me as . . . . not 'a' but the Tackle Tart

LOL

Whilst the REALLY old members of FM refer to him simply as "Tart" ;)

blounty65

Reaction score
i'm allowed to keep all mine under the stairs as i refused point blank to keep it in the shed, the only exception is i have too keep my nets outside as on th odd occasion i have forgot and you can imagine what she has to say then. i do keep my older less valuable gear in the shed but there is that much junk in there if a thief broke in he would have to tidy it before he found it

superted77

Reaction score
In the garage, rod tubes on pegs on the wall, old kitchen cupboards and drawers underneath for tackle and dry bait, fridgefreezer for maggots, meat ,frozen hemp, mussels etc
Nets, chair, clothing on another wall.
Just had to change insurance providers cos my old ins' company
would only cover for 2k.