Smelly old bag

Shine

Reaction score
And you lot thought I ment the wife. boom boom............

Dugmy jrc cacoon rod holdall out the shed yesterday is the zip on theholdall I'm using has broke.The jrc holdallhas that yucky moldy funky dampsmell to it now.

Is there anything I can do to get rid of this smell or should it go in the bin and I buy another. It would be helpful if I can get rid of the smell as its a very good holdall.

Any advice?

Cheers.

Mithrandir

Reaction score
wash it out with some sterilising solution used for babies bottles (Milton?) and then dry it out thoroughly, if it persists then use a solution of bicarbonate of soda. The Milton will kill the mould spores, the bicarb will remove most of the nasty odours.

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Does it work after messing with smelly old bags Mith?/forum/smilies/embarassed_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/crying_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/surprised_smiley.gif

W

Wolfman Woody

There's a product by Dettox called Mold And Mildew Remover, green squirty bottle. Brilliant for shifting any stubborn mould on brickwork, bogs, showers, plaster, and holdalls although it might turn it white.

If it resists bleach give it a try on a small area inside. Otherwise use Miltons, but at the end of the day, they're all bleaches of different strengths. Just hanging it outside fully opened up for three months might clear it.

Shine

Reaction score
when you say wash it out mithrandir. How do you mean?A bucket and a sponge and give it a good soak/wash?

Thanks for the help

Mithrandir

Reaction score
A good sponging, let the solution get into the akward litle corners. if you use too strong a solution of milton it can rot the stitching, it is a mild form of bleach. the strong mould removers might well rot the fabric.

For a couple of quid it is worth a try, if not bin it and buy a nice shiney new one, one good ploy is to leave the smelly item where the wife can smell it, when she moans put on the puppy dog look and tell her it is all you have and until you can afford a new one and it will have to stay there, you could have a new one in days that way LOL

JIMMY---PAAS

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Use cold water and milton's, to wash your back, then rinse with cold water and then wash it again and as Woody say,s hang it outside fully open for a few days.

Mithrandir

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Paul (Brummie) Williams wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Does it work after messing with smelly old bags Mith?/forum/smilies/embarassed_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/crying_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/surprised_smiley.gif</blockquote>
Take a tip from Tom Jones and rinse it in Listerine

Shine

Reaction score
thanks.

Might start a new fasion woody and have the only white holdall on the back/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Shine

Reaction score
Guess what I just found in the cuboard.... MILTON STERILISING TABLETS /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Keep them with they baby stuff for when the grandson comes to stay.

How many tables for one bucket of water should I use?

(on the packet it says 'fill your milton sterilising unit with cold water, for every 5 litres of water add 1 milton tablet'...... doest say how many to use on a rod holdall) !!

Mithrandir

Reaction score
About double that strength, or you could get the missus to help you, play the helpless man with cleaning products act, never know, she might even push you out of the way for making a mess and do it herself.

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Mith....i don't use Listerine, wil ralgex do?/forum/smilies/disappointed_smiley.gif