Water Temp

The Gooner

Reaction score
I've been thinking of taking my son over to either Old Bury Hill to tackle Milton or Bonds (both reasonably stocked with small carp) or to Furze Farm near Horsham on Tuesday.

Would the water temp be too low at the moment to make it worthwhile? Having been for a walk round a local park lake which was totally frozen over this morning, I don't know if either carp lake would be fishable.

Anyone been to either location over the weekend? Also, if they're free of ice but the water is still only a couple of degrees above freezing, is it worth fishing for the carp and what bait should I use?

Thanks

Simon

TOM SAWYER

Reaction score
Maggot only I would say, and I was fishing yesterday in just above freezin temps, and had a couple of carp. Just expect to catch less------

JIMMY---PAAS

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>The Gooner wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Wow. I'd rather see otters and have fewer silver fish in the lake. Does that get me banned from this forum?? /forum/smilies/dont_tell_anyone_smiley.gif</blockquote>Ask the Otters?

The Gooner

Reaction score
Any sort of groundbait at this time of year?

I have to confess to being a bit of a warm weather softie. I did my time when I was younger, fishing rivers while they froze over but I struggle to get out of bed these days.

JIMMY---PAAS

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well I,m sure that a lot off the members where not laughing. And I for one wasn't.

Mind you simple minds easley amused.

The Gooner

Reaction score
Could you explain where that's come from?

My otters comment was very much tongue in cheek and I've no idea how you've taken it.

I come from an area (East Surrey) where there are no otters. I've never seen more than one or two water voles in my lifetime so to see a creature as rare as an otter for me would be amazing. I guess there are others that see them as a nuisance and a threat to their fish stocks but I'd never has envisaged it that way.

The pleasure I get from fishing is a combination of catching the odd fish, enjoying the peace and quiet, and seeing whatever wildlife I can.

The Gooner

Reaction score
OK - Well I hadn't read the remainder of the wildlife thread and now see some of you folks are sensitive about the subject. Apart from the odd wildlife program, I'm talking from a position of ignorance so will defer to your better judgement.

Apologies for any offence. Trust me, none was intended.

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
First the issue is to find where the carp are in the lake. In the colder days the carp will tightly shoal up in an area of the lake that has the right water temperature (thermocline) for them Find them and put a simple bait in front of them and you should get a bite or two. Bait wise maggots or small corn dont over feed keep it simple and scale down your line and hook sizes to cope with the wary carp.

Tight Lines

The Gooner

Reaction score
Thanks Ian. Finding them might be a bit tricky with a 5m whip. I guess we'll have to get mobile!

Jay Folly

Reaction score
I have found at my fishery that the carp are hardly moving about.I have a few spotsI put feed into, that I can see with polarized glasses. over the past week they have only been cleaning up in a couple of spots.the ground temp. most mornings has been -3'c, the water has been around the-0.5'c mark, with hardly any wind, whilst the afternoons have been around 15'c!Fishing is extreamly hard with the harsh nights and sunny days.I wouldnt want to sound like a "fair weather fisherman", butI think its worth waiting for a few weeks and hope the weather perks up.

The Gooner

Reaction score
Took the kids for a walk round reigate priory today and saw swans struggling to skate around on the ice so may give it a miss for a couple of weeks in the hope of warmer weather!!

In the meantime, I'll be trying to work out how to attach a pole rig to the elastic.