Any ideas would be much appreciated

Medders

Reaction score
I need to purchase 2 carp reels and have been doinga bit of research on the net and from Angler's Mail, but you can't beat actual experience from other anglers.......please help!

If anyone has or has had any of the following reels, please comment (good and bad) as I'm undecided....

1. Mitchell Avorunner 7500 - £50 each

2. Daiwa Regal Plus 5000 - £51 each

3. Cormoran BR XL 6000 - £68 for a pair

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
I have played with the Diawas and I have to say thet are very very good reels for the money. They cast well with good line lay. Thebait runner works well and both clutches are very smooth and eay to adjust. I am sure you should be able to get them for a good deal some where make sure you get the BRI-AB version with the extra bearings for smooth operation

Medders

Reaction score
Thanks Ian, the ones I'm looking at are BRIs......1 to Team Daiwa!! Thanks again mate

E

Evan NotMightyAtAll

Modern Mitchells ? Don't do it.

Real Mitchells ended in 1990 with the Quartzes, everything else since is just rubbish with the name on it.

Daiwa (real Daiwa, not Daiwa Cormoran), Shimano or Fox ftw.... Okuma on a budget

Medders

Reaction score
I've done it......it's all about the Shimanos!!! I haven't gone too large, due to budget, wen for the Aero RE 5000s....has anyone got these?

Medders

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for their comments, I feel I have made the right chioce!!! The postman wants to hurry up, I going for a night/day next week, it has to get a bit warmer, my Mrs thinks I'm mad!

D

Dal (The merchant of Mennace & Don't mess with my

Mark, you've made the right choice, there is a thread on here about carp reels from only a few weeks ago, all I can say is SHIMANO!

Carpless

Reaction score
Yeah i got 2 RE's and they are cracking. You'll know you've made the right choice when u get your hands on em.

Medders

Reaction score
Cheers all!! I can't wait....I'm clucking, roll on Monday/Tuesday!! Has anyone got any comment on the ESP line...that's the next purchase!!?

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Mark I think you have been bullied mate LOL. Yes shimano are good reeals I should know I have a garagefull of them ( about 30 or do) and I do have the GTE5000's. However they are a light weight carp reel good for margin fishing or surface baits. where you be using lighter line for surface and less line for margin fishing. Due to the small spool size when you load up with 12lb line typical for most carp anglersany cast further than 40 yards or so would nearly empty the spool and as such drastically limit the range you could comfortably cast to. The Diawas on the other hand are a lot larger more like a 1000XTE shimano size and as such will allow you to cast a lot further due to the larger line capacity. Take your time mate and get whats best for the type of fishing you are going to do. Dont blindly follow people after all its your hard earned money you are going to spend.

Matty C

Reaction score
My vote, either the Wychwood Maximiser Freespin70, or the Wychwood maximiser 70..

The first one, the freespin, good reel with baitrunner.. big enough spool to cast 60 or 70 yards easilly, or marginal stuff.. about 60 new out the shops, but can be found brand new on ebay for anywhere between 20 and 50..

Second, no freespin, meaning no bait runner, much better front drag though, much bigger spool easilly able to blast 100 yards plus.. brand new about 80 or so, but can be picked up for about 40 or 50 on ebay..

personally I have three of the non freespins and two freespins, and i think the non freespins are much better..

R

Roto Fryer

I used Shimano for years,however, the top of the range Daiwas are vastly superior to any Shimano.

Iwould still go with Shimano for any rell under 100 pounds but don't discount the Okuma range