Big Chub Photo

• Thread starter Paul (Brummie) Williams
  • Start date
P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Some stonking chub there mate.........want to share the weights with us?

Wish i knew where you caught em /forum/smilies/angel_smiley.gif

Skjelstad

Reaction score
... or one of his fingers slipped in where it should definitely not be! /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Great chub, though!

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
That's a stunning album of Chub.

What's also impressive is I recognise some of the areas and they are well spread out.

("impressive" that they were caught from a fairly wide area...not that I recognise some of those areas!)

/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Does look like it's crapped in his hand tho /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

C

Cakey

I know where no 12 is...................................

superb fish and nice piccys who ever took them

J

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Absolutely beautiful fish, all of them, would be nice to know there weights?

Matthew Beddows

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Most of the bigger fish are from thelower Dorset Stour, the Tidal up to Muscliffe. I live in Coventry and fish locally all year, with the exception of a week on the Stour around February/March - sort of an annual pilgrimage since the early nineties for myself and a couple of friends.

Lastyear our visit coincided with some horrendous flooding and the river was virtually unfishable for five of our days there. On the last day the river had just receded towithin its banks, and for me, the Chub Gods smiled - ihad a 6.15, then an hour or solater a 7.08.Absolutely breathtaking to witnesssuch fish on the bank.

I haven't done any summer chub fishing for years, and hadn't fished the Stourin the summer for a long time,but last year decided to use a weeks' holiday and try my luck on the Stour in June.The summer pics in the gallery are mostlyfrom that trip.

Anyway, thanks for the kind words ...and i shallpost the weights asap. (even the one that looks like it'sshat in my hand!)

Regards,

Matt

Y

yoggy

Some cracking fish thereMatt.

Havn`t yet fished the Stour although I intend to in the future.

My two local"Chubbing" rivers are the Nene and Welland. Although Iregulary visit the Ouse and Ivel. I suppose winter and Chub go hand in hand, but I still fish for them in Summer despite all the other action going on!!!!

Matthew Beddows

Reaction score
Hi Simon,

You're right when you say winter and chub go hand in hand, andfor me it's the most enjoyable time to fish for them. I did, however witness some great sights last summer on the Stour - some real eye openers with regards to howbig chub feed and react in clear water; information that i'm surewill be of great benefit when fishing 'blind' in winter conditions.

The Nene and Welland i've never fished, andthe Ouse onlyonce but i do have a Vauxhall AC ticket so hopefully will venture out over that way againsoon.

Regards,

Matt

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Some really nice chub there Matt, you've obviously put some time and effort in to get those rewards.

Summer on those areas of the Stour can be a revelation as well as very frustrating. It's oftena very different proposition in winter but time spent in observation is usually rewarded.

I'm in the process of re-acquainting myself with the stretches you mention as I used to live just a short walk/bike ride away. I caught my first ever fish, a flounder(!),from the top end of the tidal stretch in 1960.

For those unaware, those areas includes Club Water, Day Ticket and Free stretches.

Matthew Beddows

Reaction score
Thanks Neil.Even though i only get to fish the Stour once, or sometimes twice a year it's always been my favourite river. I first fishedThroop in the summer of '89 and remember catching my first chub from below the School Bridge on lobworm. I caught a 5.11 chub from Pig Island the year after, which was a big chub for that time, butmainly barbel fished in the years following. It's only been the last six or seven years i've concentrated on the winter chub.

As well you know Neil, Throop has far more to offer than those 'hammered' swims a lot of anglers habitually occupy.I have occasionally had a dabble on the New Weir or below, and enjoyed it - it really is a nice bit of water, but the real beauty of Throop is the endless possibilities of catching a big fish from swims that are hardly, if ever fished. And even on such a 'pressured' water asthis there are areas that never see an angler's bait. That big winter brace i had were from swims such as these. I'djust love to live local to it that's all! Anyway, i've got myholiday booked for the first week in March, so finger's crossed the big rains don't arrive before then ...!

Matt

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

Terrific chub Matt and this picture from your album is yet another example of anglers using an unhooking mat for species other than carp.
24.gif

Y

yoggy

Matt, Myself and Nick from FM have VAC tickets and often visit the Ouse so if you want to come alonganytime you`re more than welcome to join us mate.

Just send me an email.

Matthew Beddows

Reaction score
Thanks Graham. The mat in the photo is one i made myself about twelve years ago, and apart from the fish welfare aspect it doubles up nicely as a seat when roving large stretches of river.