So how has this rain effected your fishing?

dave11

Reaction score
I am not talking about getting out to fish but more in the way of catching fish and if so what fish? Why i am saying this is because this June and July has had freak rain like never before. So compare it with your previous maybe swims or venues you have fished this time of year...More of a certain species of fish than usual or less?. How did it effect your Stillwater fishing through the whole last 3 months?

skullsat

Reaction score
I wouldn't say it's made any difference to me really,as i prefer fishing when it's raining,less anglers out,plus i use a lot of worms(buy a kilo the start of every season),and they always seem to work better when it's raining,always catch a nice variety too.

bub81

Reaction score
Rain often coincides with low atmospheric pressure, so there is usually good feeding at the time of rain.

What I'd like to know is that although when rain starts, it's a good thing for fishing, and when rain stops seems to me to be a good time, too. But how about prolonged rain? There is only so much a fish can eat in a day! If its been raining for 20 minutes, does the advantage start to dwindle?

Also, does the type of rain matter? Is it just the heavier, the better, for oxygenation purposes, or can there be too much vibration and disturbance that sends the fish into lie-low mode? And, is there any advantage when fishing in drizzle?

One day it started raining, and it didn't quit for four months. We been through every kind of rain there is. Little bitty stingin' rain... and big ol' fat rain. Rain that flew in sideways. And sometimes rain even seemed to come straight up from underneath. Shoot, it even rained at night...
-Forest Gump

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Rain often coincides with low atmospheric pressure, so there is usually good feeding at the time of rain.

What I'd like to know is that although when rain starts, it's a good thing for fishing, and when rain stops seems to me to be a good time, too. But how about prolonged rain? There is only so much a fish can eat in a day! If its been raining for 20 minutes, does the advantage start to dwindle?

Also, does the type of rain matter? Is it just the heavier, the better, for oxygenation purposes, or can there be too much vibration and disturbance that sends the fish into lie-low mode? And, is there any advantage when fishing in drizzle?

One day it started raining, and it didn't quit for four months. We been through every kind of rain there is. Little bitty stingin' rain... and big ol' fat rain. Rain that flew in sideways. And sometimes rain even seemed to come straight up from underneath. Shoot, it even rained at night...
-Forest Gump

WEATHER CRAFT
The figures below are based on all species caught for the last 12 years where four basic weather conditions were recorded. Giving 5 points for a below average fish, 10 points for a average fish and 15 points for an above average fish. The total scores converted into a percentage. There is actually not a lot in it but it does indicate some increase in activity for rainy conditions. There is a bit more in it when looked at for individual species though, tench and carp for example but then rudd show a preference for sunny conditions.

sunny----------- 24.97
sun/cloud -----------18.25
overcast -----------25.74
rainy -----------------31.04

Last edited:

skullsat

Reaction score
Nice bit of info,i've always believed it helps start the fish feeding when it's raining,keeps the heads down,had some nice perch from near rushes in heavier rain,think it's to do with the amount of insects getting washed into the water,but the biggest plus is like i said earlier,less anglers:rolleyes:

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Light rain and dull light are good conditions i think. Especially if its warm. Maybe when its dull the underwater environment is easier for them to read - not a patchwork of light and dark patches like you get under rippled water in bright sun.

Heavy rain can stir up edges, knock insects into water etc = feeding trigger? fish move to margins or under overhangs

Bright sun fish more wary, pike more active?. But hot and sunny and fish can slumber under pads or cruise around near surface.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I was fishing one day last week and was struggling to get a bite, then we ahd a 20 minute down pour and the fish started feeding , once the rain had stopped the fish continued to feed well with some very positive bites

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I am not talking about getting out to fish but more in the way of catching fish and if so what fish? Why i am saying this is because this June and July has had freak rain like never before. So compare it with your previous maybe swims or venues you have fished this time of year...More of a certain species of fish than usual or less?. How did it effect your Stillwater fishing through the whole last 3 months?

Weather craft
Using a similar criteria as before I went back and had a look and I came up with this. This is just looking at individual species caught in rainy conditions. There are a few ways of permuting this but, might help a bit in answering your question. I suppose you could call it species most likely to come on in rainy conditions. But , bear in mind a lot of other factors can play a part.

tench-------- 21.84
carp ------------18.16
b/roach----- 13.68
crucian---- 13.26
roach------ 12.43
rudd------- 9.36
bream------ 7.62
chub-------- 3.64

flightliner

Reaction score
Its been nothing short of a godsend for me, rivers are up and the Barbel are feeding well and weed growth on some waters is down somewhat making it a little easier to present a bait without the hassle .
Overall its giving many anglers very favourable conditions and good results I would guess.
It certainly as for me.

skullsat

Reaction score
Guess i won't be the only angler on the bank anymore once everyone's read all the positive info.:rolleyes:

ps funny how that's true about the tench and carp,always guessed the rain kept there heads down and induced feeding.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Yes, sometimes what I do just confirms what you already know but, that's not a bad thing and it does throw up a few surprises now and then.. Personally, I just don't trust my own judgement sometimes. It is easy to remember all the times you caught fish and forget the times you don't and that is just as important when making an assessment.
As for fishing in the rain, I like it although as a general rule I don't take much notice as the results show there is not much in it for general fishing. That surprised me a bit, I always thought that would be different and rain would emphatically show a bigger result. Mind you this only shows a trend and is not a rule, it is interesting but, fishing is fishing and anything can happen. But, carp do show a definite trend for very colored water and that plays a part and must be linked to rainy conditions.. END

flightliner

Reaction score

Damm, I keep spelling as/has wrong.
Yes again to the fishing, my near local river idle is fishing its socks off right now!
Anywhere below Bawtry is well worth a try at the moment, just avoid the odd day when they are weed cutting upstream and you,re in!