Opinion Piece ? The RSPB

Risque Manoofus

Reaction score
This post is a little like the RSPB asking members to vote against the ACA because we kill cormorants.

Ive been an angler for a long time and equaly a keen bird watcher and a member of the RSPB.

If by objecting to the scandalous ways many anglers have of leaving litter ,discarded line and hooks everywhere and generally believing they own the place and can do what they want with it then guess what? As an angler I object strongly to that as well and the vast majority of anglers these days I wouldnt let near the place if I owned a water myself.

Mr Angling has to get his world in order and he seems woefully unable to do that and until he does then it is little wonder that in a lot of cases he isnt welcome. He sits up and begs for it.

F

Fred Bonney

I gave up my membership to the RSPB, they wrote to me and asked me why.I wrote back highlighting their actions on the Isle of wight.

No reply!

I wrote to BTO, asking their views on angling,the response almost immediate, was words to the effect, that they have no problem with angling.

Having said that, they also do not own vast tracts of countryside, and therefore would have no direct experience of what some "anglers" get up to.

I amended my Will,and joined BTO.

C

Cakey

youve now started a unity thread Fred.........................

Risque Manoofus

Reaction score
Was there any truth in the claim that the RSPB "is wagingwar on anglers". They would blow us out of the water.

A few walks around 95 percent of the lakes in this country with a camera would provide them with all the damning evidence they would need.

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Risque Manoofus wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>If by objecting to the scandalous ways many anglers have of leaving litter ,discarded line and hooks everywhere and generally believing they own the place and can do what they want with it then guess what? As an angler I object strongly to that as well and the vast majority of anglers these days I wouldnt let near the place if I owned a water myself.</blockquote>

Isn't that the key to this issue though? Don't let those anglers near your water that leave litter. But that isn't the 'vast majority' of anglers. What's wrong with any fishery owner, including the RSPB, openingthe waters they own to fishing and making damn sure, like the best angling clubs do, that the litter louts are sorted out. Closing them to allanglers is not on.

It's true that most anglers enjoy bird watching and combine that interest with fishing, but given the choice between joiningone organisation that is clearly anti-angling and one that clearly isn't then there is no contest surely?

E

Evan NotMightyAtAll

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Mark Hewitt (ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Whats happended to Evans's post?</blockquote>

The postman has a cold but his wife says thank you for your concern and he will be up and out of bed again soon....

Alternatively the lazy idiot whose name begins with E read the article after posting, not before, - memo, engage brain before posting (contrary to every natural instinct) - and edited original post down to a full stop..... which the Marsbar would appear to have deleted in his mercy, hiding my shame and blushes from the assembled multitude.

Risque Manoofus

Reaction score
I agree with you Graham we should be sorting these litter louts out but we arent.

Responsible anglers have been hitting this drum for years and yearsand years. You know that as well as I do and it just isnt getting through. It isnt working.

Ive lost count of the number of times Ive walked away from venues with black bin liners full of other anglers rubbish. I dont do it now because I dont travel in my own vehicle at weekends anymore but I have done so in the past God knows how many times. What water ownerin their right mind is going to put up with that .

If I owned a waterway as a dedicated wildlife conservation area(as in fairness they all should be regardless of ownership) I wouldnt let the majority of anglers anywhere near it. There are quite a few I know that could fish it anytime they wanted and free but "Joe Public" angler unknown wouldnt have a chance.

Ive been a member of the RSPB for a long time and I have never heard any unjustified comment from anyone that I can remember and if I did I would feircely defend that ground but they arent waging war against anglers imo.

Anglers are getting rejected from areas because they cant get their house in order in general.

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Evan NotMightyAtAll wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote><blockquote class=quoteheader>Mark Hewitt (ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Whats happended to Evans's post?</blockquote>

The postman has a cold but his wife says thank you for your concern and he will be up and out of bed again soon....

Alternatively the lazy idiot whose name begins with E read the article after posting, not before, - memo, engage brain before posting (contrary to every natural instinct) - and edited original post down to a full stop..... which the Marsbar would appear to have deleted in his mercy, hiding my shame and blushes from the assembled multitude. </blockquote>
Correct/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Risque Manoofus wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

I agree with you Graham we should be sorting these litter louts out but we arent.

Responsible anglers have been hitting this drum for years and yearsand years. You know that as well as I do and it just isnt getting through. It isnt working.</blockquote>
I belong to several angling clubs where it is working very well indeed. Litter louts are not tolerated and are immediately thrown out of the clubs concerned. Or they were, until it has now become obvious that leaving litter of any kind is not worth it.

Risque Manoofus

Reaction score
All power to their elbow too.

Sadly my club is one were the onus is on the bailif,s to pick it up for them and strong action by a bailif is very much watered down and mamby pambied by the club secretary. If you think bitter personal experience is showing here , your absolutely right.

We should have a zero tolerance on it across the board and a scheme similar to how they operate with trouble makers in some clubs. A shared responsibility in not letting them rejoin another club in that area.

Graham I fished a venue(day ticket) the other day and I counted 13 groundbait bagsand 5 sweetcorn cans besides all other sorts of trash spread between 4 pegs. We walked off afterwards and got tangled round our feet in line that was around 15lb breaking strain. Easily 30-40 feet of it.

The authorities there would be totally within their rights to ban fishing on that water and if they did so angling would lose arguably one of the best silverfish venues in the UK.

This has been going on down here for years and years. Its now under threat because of close by development and at a time when it should really be tight and we really should be on the ball the place is a pigsty.

Joey

Reaction score
I, like Graham, also belong to a club where it works very well. You are responsible for any litter on your peg. If you don't move it you can pack your bag and don't bother coming back. As a result the pegs are a pleasure to be on and all the members take a pride in keeping it that way.

J

John McLaren

Has there been any comment by RSPB as to why they have disallowed angling at Burton Mere?

It is many years since I fishedat the merebut it was a very tidy place then and if that was still the case until the takeover the RSPB's only grounds for their actions would have been prejudice against anglers!

I think that Risque is wrong in saying that the majority of anglers leave rubbish, certainly more do than I would like but a few morons can leave an awful lot of litter!

JIMMY---PAAS

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Risgue:Are you saying that its only anglers that leave litter behind; As i,ve seen by my own eyes a group of men and women THROWING litter on the edge of a path where I was fishing, I said to them ( that was nice doing that ) And the look I got from them, Then one of the men said to me ( O its ok the ranger will pick it up ) Anyway I noticed a few moments later that this group met up with another group in which I new some of them. And a few moments latter two of the men that I know came over to speak to myself. And I explained to them what I had seen. They were raging, As they informed me that they where all members of the RSPB.

Now get back to the anglers; Yes I,ve seen anglers throwing away line etc etc. But when I speak to them I find that they are not in any club or organizations to do with fishing. As I believe that this is were the problem is.

It would be nice if we could all live in harmony.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
The prejudice seems more around that anglers would disturb birds which is rarely the case yet often the public are allowed free rein including bringing dogs on the reserve which really does disturb birds. The NT acquired a stretch of river near me, continued to allow angling, and recognised the problem by sheep wiring the river bank to exclude dogs allowing the birds to be undisturbed. As for line/hooks killing birds; I've been on the riverbank/lakeside for 100-150 days per year for 40 years and seen 5 instances whereas anyone who drives kills at least one bird every few years. If the RSPB was serious about disturbance it would manage reserves and keep the bird watchers and everyone else out excepting essential maintenance.

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

<blockquote class=quoteheader>John McLaren wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Has there been any comment by RSPB as to why they have disallowed angling at Burton Mere?

It is many years since I fishedat the merebut it was a very tidy place then and if that was still the case until the takeover the RSPB's only grounds for their actions would have been prejudice against anglers! </blockquote>
I was going to mention that myself. Burton Mere had a good record under Terry Knight for being clean and tidy. Obviously this wasn't taken into account, or, more likely, it didn't matter, banning angling was a foregone conclusion anyway.

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

Mark, Burton Mere became a bird watcher's paradise while anglers were fishing it; it didn't come about after they were banned.

E

Evan NotMightyAtAll

My club has the same rule, if you are fishing a swim you are responsible for all of the litter in it, even if it isn't yours. Plus a damn good conscientious and attentive Bailiff with similarly commited assistants too. As a result I have almost never seen any litter anywhere on any of our club waters. Mind you, this is law abiding deepest Surrey and we have no day tickets or outsiders.... that's just the way it is here, twinned as we are with Royston Vasey.... /forum/smilies/eye_rolling_smiley.gif

(And before anyone acuses me of hypocrisy these are not the sort of neglected unfished waters I was ever talking about opening up to day ticket anglers. Anything but, wee jewels in the angling crown ! [gollum on]Mine, all mine.... Precious[/gollum off])