What do you love most about fishing?

Keith M

Reaction score
The things that I remember most of all are the early summer mornings when the mist is drifting on the river and the church bells are ringing and the woodpidgeons are cooing in the background, together with the anticipation of catching some of those lovely brassy scaled chub; before most people have even got out of bed. Those are the really magic moments that I will always remember.
Or an early morning watching a heron moving silently around, sometimes being followed by a magpie (hoping to snatch a fish that has been dropped by the heron) amidst the early morning bird chorus. together with the anticipation of the first Barbel bite on a lovely quiet river, or of the float quietly being slipped away by a nice red-eyed Tench amongst the lilly pads on a nice quiet picturesc estate lake.

Its these atmospheric moments which I find are some of my most favourite moments in fishing.
It's not always the biggest fish that I remember, but the magical atmospheric moments that I've spent by a water.

What about you?; what is it that makes you love fishing so much?, is it the bite of a big fish? or perhaps its fishing a new water for the first time? or winning a match? or watchng that huge grey shape appearing below your crust?..

The Monk

Reaction score
for me its the anticipation, I`m been anticipating going for quite soime time now

JIMMY---PAAS

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My self; Its getting out in the fresh air and the enjoyment of trying to get the bigger one on my line, no matter what type of fish, also its a sport that is too close to my hart ( I love it ).

E

Evan NotMightyAtAll

The fact that it's not easy and there is no foolproof 'always works' method or answer.

Always a challenge.

Leavened every now and then once or twice in a season if you're lucky by those red letter days when for some unknown reason everything just works.

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

Early mornings on a stillwater. The only sound, the ploop of the float as it enters the water.

TOM SAWYER

Reaction score
I'm with Baz on this one.

4am starts in the summer, getting to a small lake, setting up, then sitting in silence watching the mist lift off the lake surface as the sun warms it up, the odd little splash and ripple the as the fish wake, and the utter stillness. Goosebump stuff-------

N

Nathan Ball

I think my favourite thing when fishing are the days when i stop taking it seriously and just have fun. It doesn't matter whether it's on a still water, canal or river. I can't think of anything that's moremesmerising than sitting by the water watching your float...

Dave Smith

Reaction score
Watching a pike float come to life on a frosty misty morning. the anticipation of lifting into an unknown fish.

The Monk

Reaction score
I like that
orgav1.gif

E

EC

The orange tip of a floatat at about 4.30-5am when the sun starts breaking throughat dawn inspring/summer!

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I love almost all of it. Too many things to list and a fear that I might miss something out.

B

Bob "chubber"Lancaster (ACA)

yes i must agree with most of the replies here , the early mornings in spring and summer do it for me every time.You just cant beat it.

S

Sean Meeghan

Sitting behind the prison at Doncaster watching the scallies robbing the guy opposite at knifepoint and being thankful it wasn't me.

The joy of returning to my car and finding all the windows intact.

Explaining to the lad on the next peg that Purple Loosestrife isn't some new recreational drug.

The simple pleasure of spending a happy hour collecting the rubbish from my swim.

The gentle rustling as the rats forage through my rucksack for titbits.

Deanos

Reaction score
Sitting on my own, looking at the snowdrops coming up on the river bank last Thursday, pretty marvellous that they came up after the roaring floods ripped up the banks for the previous three weeks...nature is wonderful.

Getting bored, and deciding to climb a tree to check out my swim with me Polaroid’s on, and a group of six shocked ramblers spotting a mad bloke up a tree miles from anywhere nowstuck up a tree, and unceremoniously falling out of the tree after they had gone, I wanted to maintain at least some dignity."hello down there...what a beautiful day isn’t it!".

Its all brilliant!

Yo Sean!......don’t forget next summer over my way will you.

W

Wolfman Woody

"six shocked ramblers spotting a mad bloke up a tree miles from anywhere"

Corrected -

"six shocked ramblers spotting a mad <u>FAT</u> bloke up a tree miles from anywhere"

Just looking after your image , Deanos.

clam

Reaction score
PEACE AND QUITE/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Sorry for shouting/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

clam

Reaction score
Sorry about my spellin/forum/smilies/embarassed_smiley.gif