The Noddy

The Monk

Reaction score
We used it a lot in the 70s to decribe the clueless, but were did it originate?

Keith M

Reaction score
Noddies? I always though that it was it used to describe the wooden headed/thoughtless ? (like the puppets 'Noddy' and Big ears)?

But I'm not sure.

The Monk

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Lord Paul of Sheffield wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>and where did Numpty come from?</blockquote>
Oi MeLud start your own Numpty thread, this is a Noddy thread/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gifabout Noddys

The Monk

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Baz (Angel of the North) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>It came from Bream anglers.</blockquote>
I thought it came from carp anglers Baz

The Monk

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Keith M (ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Noddies? I always though that it was it used to describe the wooden headed/thoughtless ? (like the puppets 'Noddy' and Big ears)?

But I'm not sure.</blockquote>
yes it was keith, but when was it applied to angling

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

I would have thought Bream because of the nodding type bite indication they give when hooked. Whereas a Carp is more of a steady pull.

B

Bob "chubber"Lancaster (ACA)

noddy is also a bird . A tern and groups of noddies can be seen fishing. Perhaps it is a fisherman who had a tern for the worst.

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Thought it came from the 'Noddy' hats a lot ofanglers wore,hand knitted, usually black, with a knitted wool bobble.
mnoddy.jpg

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

We in the 50s and 60s were probably the first to use the term "Noddy" with reference to what we percievedwere thick, braindead pleasure & matchanglers.

In hindsight we were probably wrong.

T

trev matthews (100M bronze)

Sid Huggins used the word numties every week in his humourous angling column.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Some years ago I was fishing a well known gravel pit in Oxfordshire for tench. I was having a good day and in 3 hours fishing I landed 5 tench over 7 lbs each. As you can imagine I was feeling very pleased with myself.

Then along popped a young carp angler to watch the proceedings. He admitted to me that he never fished for tench deliberately and was a carp only man. He noticed the Avon rod, float tackleand 6 lb line that I was using and asked me a few questions about bait, hook size and type etc.

Later that day, as I packed up, I heard him talking to his mate.

"I think I'm going to get someNoddy tackle and try for those tench!"

So Noddy tackle and Noddy fishing these days means fishing for any other species other than carp.