Wanderering About Barbel

S

Sean Meeghan

Some interesting points there Pat! They certainly match my experiences this season - although I wish the Yorkshire rivers produced the stamp of fish that the Avon and the lower Severn do!

There does appear to have been a change this year and some stretches don't seem to have produced the numbers of fish that they have in previous years. I've put this down to pressure on one stretch and fish movement on another more lightly fished stretch. It can be a bit soul destroying when you have to go in search of fish and put in several sessions on a new bit of river without much success.

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Nice to see your Blackcountry colours Pat /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

clam

Reaction score
It can be soul destroying sometimes when you are searching for new swims/barbel on lightly fished rivers,but when you do find them i feel I've achieved the fish not chased a known fish.I fish the upper Trent alot and i dont think ive fished the same swim more than twice.Pioneering thats the way to go/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Great article by the way/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

J

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Paul says:-

I have known people fish a certain stretch regularly for a couple of seasons catching nothing but chub then all of a sudden out of the blue they have caught a couple of really big fish. They then go back to just catching chub.

That’s me to a tee on the Ribble, every now and again while chasing the Chub up pops a really nice Barbel then nothing for weeks Barbel wise. However, there are areas that are predominantly Barbel stretches where the odd big chub turns up.It might be very frustrating at times on the river, especially when a big flood moves a snag or one pops up that wasn’t there the week before, but that’s what makes river fishing so interesting.Some interesting points Paul and a nice read.

P

pons

Great read ,Pat,been following some of your exploits through quest website.

Pons.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Good read mate. Fished a stretch i have not fished for a few seasons and have found the fish gonefrom were they were. Not a problem though as i prefare fishing new swims and having a wander. you can only get to know a river buy exploring it.

Pat Gillett

Reaction score
Thanks for the positive feedback. It would seem that quite a few of us have shared the same experiences. I guess it's the 'not knowing' factor that makes river fishing so interesting and keeps us all going back for more.

Pat

Paul C

Reaction score
Do you know where hell is....

Great scarf Pat.

Currently a northbanker, formerly a southbanker myself.

Pat Gillett

Reaction score
Paul C.

Never hurts to show your colours. Spent many years on the South Bank from the dark old days just before Bully arrived up till the last 3 or 4 years. Have to admit stopped going when Hoddle took over and feel the atmosphere has never been the same since the old South Bank went. My Saturdays are usually spent fishing now but i still follow the lads on the radio.