Video Clips

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
We recently featured a video clip in Rik's Carp Column. This featured Rik making a long cast and illustrated the action of the rod and the forces that take place during the cast.

The clip was a download of just over a megabyte, and we also provided a link to download a free copy of Windows Media Player.

We reckon video clips will be a useful tool for demonstrating such things as casting, and especially useful for actually showing, for instance, how to tie a knot. But I'm interested to know what YOU think of the idea of video clips, specifically:

1. Will they be useful?
2. Was the download easy and without problems?
3. If you had a problem, what was it?
4. Any constructive comment at all about video clips that will help us to help you.

Bear in mind that there are limitations, mainly about download size, so please don't ask to see a video clip that lasts for more than a minute or so.

M

Matthew White

I think that video clips on the site are a great idea for getting a point across. Im a web designer myself so I know a bit about video on the web. Yes, it does sometimes take a while to download but if you give the viewer something to read or look at while the clip downloads then there is less chance of the viewer getting bored and going elsewhere.
Id like to see more video clips being used on the site.

C

Chris Bishop

Top idea, with great potential - how to weigh a fish and return it safely, how to tie a hair rig, how to unhook a pike etc etc...

G

Gary Knowles

Maybe even one of a tenner coming out of the old mans wallet.....

No, seriously - a good idea.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
There'll be no X-rated videos on this site!

M

Matthew White

How about using clips of strtches of rivers to explain how to 'read' the water, and pointing out the different areas whre fish would typically hold. This could be made into a series of clips showing different types of river and how they should be tackled.

Showing the different casting techniques is also a good idea. As explaining this with text alone can be difficult.

C

Carp Angler

Alan Roe doing that silly thing with a centrepin would be ideal for a video.

A library of clips would be superb and is only limited by what the readers require (within reason)
(you are not going to see me in my Speedo's for any amount of money)

W

Wendy Perry

Wow Graham i never saw this clip before and yes i think it is a fantastic idea especially for people like me who don't want to keep asking questions on how to do this and that so yeah i think it's brilliant !!
things like setting rigs up ie; feeders wagglers ledgering and all sorts really then maybe one showing how to get the right consistency for your bait and how and what to add to them .
Excellent Idea

Wend

M

Michael Hall

I think that it is a better way to demonstrate methods, great idea!!

S

Stuart Bullard

Graham, I downloaded it and all I got was some psychedelic graphics with the big mans voice in the background.

Apart from that, yes a good idea, however people need to be aware of the time taken to download. Its easy from work, but at home it may take ages.

Lets get another trial. Perhaps Wendy demonstrating her difficulties with fishing apparel ? Well, just a thought....

And Rik, I will make the first contribution to keep your speedo's on, or else I'll show you my wife in a bikini....

R

Rodney Wrestt

Great feature for the site, a clip library would be great for setting up rigs, hookbait setups, fish safety, unhooking and recovery of fish. A new type of question and answer service for complicated applications, I think it's sometimes easier to understand when being shown first hand than trying to understand some overly technical description.

C

Craig Smith

It sounds a great idea!

Most of the points for have been covered and I agree about most with the point Rodney made making mental picture's about tying rig's and knot's can be very confusing.

D

Del Jarman

I'm very surprised Paul hasn't posted something about Wendy on this thread yet: lol

Still plenty time yet!!!

Del.

C

Chris Bishop

You could hide cameras at certain venues and have a sort of you've been framed...

Hire a frogman to pick up someone's bait, pull them att over the water, then a big sign floats to the surface with "gotcha..." on it...

C

Craig Smith

Chris that sounds cruel but bloody funny a sure fire ?250 off YBF

W

Wendy Perry

Del yes me too i'm waiting for Pauls comments here but then again Graham did say they wouldn't be X-rated video's lol :eek:)

ron lander

Reaction score
This is a good idea - if the service provider has the space available. Who pays for the website? I know don't contribute.

A meg will download in 3 to 4 minutes on a 56k modem with a reasonable connection. Links to a player would be a must.

A few video clips could be trialed for a month or so.

D

David Will

Just when you think you are getting a grip on this internet lark it all moves on. Next there will be live action so everyone can have a laugh when the first cast goes up a tree etc etc.

L

Lee Tebble

Good Idea - Can we add Wallis Casting the correct way near the top of the list please - i.e. without birds nests on the reel or casting into birds nests in the trees!! Thanks El Tee