Does your river fish on the rise?

broomy

Reaction score
With the EA river log and two live web cameras on my local river (Tees) its very easy to know the state of the river before setting off for a session.
And to track its level movement.
Since the season started I have been out a lot, in fact almost everyother day.
As we are all aware the northern rivers have been high, higher or wow aint seen it that big.
In the main I have chosen to fish when the river was dropping in level.
However I have been out when it was rising and on thoes occasions have not even manged a bite from any species.
In fact it seems when they do want to feed on my river its only the barble that are interested.
Looking back through my records I have never caught on a rising river, only on one that was falling and hours after it reached its peak.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I haven't had particularly good results on a rising river. If it's not too extreme, I'd rather fish at the top of a flood and as it runs off. However, I have mates that fish the same river that prefer to fish it on the rise.

johnnyfby

Reaction score
With the EA river log and two live web cameras on my local river (Tees) its very easy to know the state of the river before setting off for a session.
And to track its level movement.
Since the season started I have been out a lot, in fact almost everyother day.
As we are all aware the northern rivers have been high, higher or wow aint seen it that big.
In the main I have chosen to fish when the river was dropping in level.
However I have been out when it was rising and on thoes occasions have not even manged a bite from any species.
In fact it seems when they do want to feed on my river its only the barble that are interested.
Looking back through my records I have never caught on a rising river, only on one that was falling and hours after it reached its peak.
Always better on the way down pal, at least you know the shiiiiite coming down will be less....

barbelboi

Reaction score
Yes, IMO for barbel the Kennet and Loddon fish very well, but at different times (the Kennet somewhat later), after the heavy rain.
Jerry

B

Berty

it depends on what is coming down, warmer, colder, .... and what the water "authority" is letting go!

the wise one

Reaction score
On summer/ early autumn rises- yes.
If its a cold 'snow melt' rise in the winter then no.

T.W.O

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
On the Yorkshire rivers I've found that there is often a feeding spell as the river rises, but it isn't as consitent as on a falling river. On the Pennine rivers we also have the problem of peat stain which we get as the colour starts to drop out. This tends to put an end to any feeding spell.

Rain associated with a cold front will cool the water so rising water from this colder rain won't stimulate feeding.

R

Royffey

always better for me on the drop, after the evening rise around dusk - 10pm