Snakehead

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Stock them in waters that the RSPB ahve bought and banned fishing - once all the fish have gone then it birds on the menu -see how long they want the land

davchem

Reaction score
I hope he used an unhooking mat otherwise he'll be in trouble /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

B

Bully

Wow - what an ugly bugger! I was a bit surprised he let it die, unless of course he knew what it was? I am not sure I would have done that......

honslow

Reaction score
I don't believe that fish tookthe angler'ssprat. Consensus of opinion amongst aquatic experts is that this fish is a tropical species and that the chance of it eating in current river water temperatures is virtually nil! The fact that the claim comes during the coldest period underlines the likelihood that an irresponsibly released fish went belly up, probably within hours.

There's a strong possibility that this fish was scooped dead out of the margins or taken dead to the water to facilitate a bogus catchclaim. I hope I'm wrong about this, but if it is a hoax then it's a very irresponsible one which could effect peoples' judgement and the availability of imports of the channa genusto genuine, responsibletropical fish keepers in England and Wales.

Journos should be more sceptical and do their homework as opposed to jump at a scoop. Many of the nationals are claiming the importation of thespecies is banned and that snakeheads eat people. Total gibberish all round!

Check out the authoratative view: http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/pages/item.php?news=1588

We're keen to talk to the captor to get to the bottom of this. If there are any warm water outflows on the Witham where this fish claims to be caught then there's a remote chance it was surviving in the wild. Otherwise the claim is bordering on the ridiculous!

Deanos

Reaction score
Look Greg!

"Moby ****" (the great white whale) ate loads of people!, you dont know everything about everything.

It said in the Sun that these things come out of the river and EAT people....I would advise every angler in the country to panic like hell, we are allthe toughman until the s!*! hits the fan!

Des Taylor is a big lad!...get a few ciders down him, get him out onto the bank after another of these people eating monsters, and you have a right story.

I am not actually an editor or anything, but I thought you would have thought of that.

honslow

Reaction score
As I've said, I'd be more concerned ofthe impact this story could have on genuine aquatics enthusiasts. If this species can overwinter in the wild in the UK then maybe it should be banned. But suchregulations should be based on facts, not sensationalism!

L

Laurie Harper

Can kill people (according to the super, soaraway Sun)? At a maximum of 3ft long? Er, yes, s'pose so...

Reaction score
does anybody really believe anything that's printed in the sun anyway?

prefer a factual read myself, cant beat the sport !!!/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

but on a serious note does anyone really think that a TROPICAL species such as a snake head could possibly survive in alincolnshire drain, in the winter ,and being a TROPICAL cold bloodedanimal beactive enough to feed?

unless of coursethere is a warm water outlet nearby? then,and only then me thinks there maybe a SLIM chance of it surviving.

PS anyone remember the Thames piranha?

S

Sean Meeghan

You obviously didn't fish the St Helens canal in the 70's! Guppies, angel fish, cichlids, piranahs, arapinas, golden mahseer, carp.

Err.... got carried away a bit there! /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

wayne brooks

Reaction score
i used to have a snakehead in my tropical tank but it died after two months. hard as hell to keep alive in a tropical tank with regular monitoring of water conditions let alone a freezing river!

another scoop by the sun

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Sean Meeghan wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

You obviously didn't fish the St Helens canal in the 70's! Guppies, angel fish, cichlids, piranahs, arapinas, golden mahseer, carp.

Err.... got carried away a bit there! /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif</blockquote>
I did Sean,riddled with cichlids especially. Matches were won with them.

steveo

Reaction score
mmmmmmmmmmmm

Smells a bit fishy to me and I'm not talking about the contents of Baldricks Apple Crumble.

The Snake looked very dead to me,its fins and eyes were the give away.I rekon someone was avin an attemp at making a few quid when their pet went belly up.

K

Keith Williams

"The Angling national magazines were well informed and published the CEFAS responses immediately with all the neccessary advice and warning as to what will happen to any UK waterways and fisheries if this species gains a foothold.

what is worrying is that nothing is known about how many of these predators may have been released by the unknown idiot and it has to be hoped that warming water temperatures in the UK do not give this fish the chance to breed.

The US Wildlife, Fish and Game service have a 24/7 battle on their hands on certain waterways and are now to trying toeradicate the Snakehead where its has taken hold and decimating native stocks of fish and other waterlife in rivers with similar water temperatures to our own so why are guys so sceptical? the " Precautionary Principle" should apply in everyones minds until the problem is proved otherwise to have gone and the danger removed beyond all doubt

See the following links that say's it all :
http://www.fws.gov/contaminants/OtherDocuments/snakeheaddistill.pdf
http://www.fws.gov/policy/library/02fr62193.pdf
http://www.fws.gov/snakehead3.htm

Our CEFAS staff thought they were having problems well if you read the problems the US is having from Illegal imports of fish for aquaria then this report link may show what may happen here if the ball is dropped
http://training.fws.gov/DivisionSites/ConservationLibrary/Pubs9/LEannual02.pdf

Makes you angry and cringe at the same time if you read the link in the Aquarist magazine thats reporting the matter big time

See : http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/pages/item.php?news=1588
I hope the Liconlnshire offender is found flogged and banned from keeping fish for life"

"Theres None so blind as those that don't want to see !"

honslow

Reaction score
THIS CATCH<u>IS</u> A HOAX!

Just letting everyone else know in case they make any embarrassing comments...../forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif