So Exactly Who and When....

cg74

Reaction score
.... was the hair-rig invented?

Who actually first thought up the concept of boiling a soft paste to make hard(ish) skinned bait - we now know as a boilie?

Oh and seeing as I'm in a question asking mode; which is the UK's finest coarse fishing river?

And whilst in such an asking way; which is best (and why) - north or south of central Birmingham (England only)?

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I did in 1873. I thought everybody knew that...where have you been ? I invented it in order to accomodate my other ground breaking invention...the boilie.

The finest coarse river in the world is the one I fish but you can't. I cannot name it because the US Military has banned me from doing so.

The last question is so ridiculous I will not grace it with an answer. Everybody knows that Birmingham is the most Northerly inhabited place on Earth.

Now please excuse me...I have some Higgs Bosons in the oven that need turning.

cg74

Reaction score
I did in 1873. I thought everybody knew that...where have you been ? I invented it in order to accomodate my other ground breaking invention...the boilie.

The finest coarse river in the world is the one I fish but you can't. I cannot name it because the US Military has banned me from doing so.

The last question is so ridiculous I will not grace it with an answer. Everybody knows that Birmingham is the most Northerly inhabited place on Earth.

1873 you say, hmmm, the plot thickens, you certainly predate the Germanic Jew Haffke, Affke, Faffke or whatever his name is now.......!

Damned yanks get their fingers in every bleedin pie; guess that's why they're the most obese nation in the world.

I don't accept this; the world ends north of Brum - end of the civilised world, yes! But there are plenty of heathen types sandwiched between Brum and Jockland.

Higgs Bosons in the oven - are you drying them to make them critically balanced in water, it's all about mass over volume..... that's mass not bass and volume (measurement of space) not volume (noise)....
It's all in the science (physics) eh?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score

Oh, you fibber, you told me it was that yiddish chap from before the war . . .

I thought it was the oil companies that were keeping that a secret . . . . you can't trust 'em you know!

Everyone knows that north of Brum' there be Dragons!!
Ye have been warned . . . . .

As a humble scientist I would protest the abuse of the God Particle if I weren't an Athiest also

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
I think it by was that grand old Yorkshireman....

....The Grand Old Duke of York - to foul hook those dirty, murdering, thieving Lanky's

He devised it after he'd marched them (the 10,000 men he had) up to the top of the hill, and then marched them down again.(Sandal Castle Hill) 30 December 1460
Sounds a bit of a fool to me. But as the saying goes, your not fighting whilst your marching.

The original plans/drawings are kept (securely locked and guarded) in the depths of Charty Chapel, sitting over the Calder in Wakefield

peterjg

Reaction score
It's strange that "Higgs Boson" has been mentioned because that's what I call my new bait - it's a newly discovered particle .....

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
1873 you say, hmmm, the plot thickens, you certainly predate the Germanic Jew Haffke, Affke, Faffke or whatever his name is now.......!

Damned yanks get their fingers in every bleedin pie; guess that's why they're the most obese nation in the world.

I don't accept this; the world ends north of Brum - end of the civilised world, yes! But there are plenty of heathen types sandwiched between Brum and Jockland.

Higgs Bosons in the oven - are you drying them to make them critically balanced in water, it's all about mass over volume..... that's mass not bass and volume (measurement of space) not volume (noise)....
It's all in the science (physics) eh?

You are confusing Faffke with his mate Fekkoff.

"Heathen types" [ ie Jocks] do not count. They are a sort of human brown goldfish but so long as they remain in the frozen North I do not care.Jockland [as I'm sure you know] was originally part of Natal.

I'm taking waters apart on a critically balanced Scopex Squid Higgs Bosun over a bed of chilli neutrinos & 4mm quarks.

And if you'd been paying full attention you'd have noticed my deliberate error. It was actually 1875 that I invented the hair-rig as my latest book

"Fantastic Things I Did That You Dont Know About " makes clear. Its a follow up to my earlier books

"Advanced Name Dropping "
"How to Never be Wrong"

beerweasel

Reaction score
Wasn't it the Romans ?
I'm sure they hair-rigged some poor chap to a cross once.

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
'Carpe Diem'

That's Latin right, for:

Fish of the day?

My classically educated wife (who is really really posh) tells me its for (you-one) 'to seize the day/moment'
'Carpe' is the second-person 'carpō' would be me seizing the day/moment
- cos tha dunt know whats round corner that might bite the(e) bum, love/duck/hinny/marra :)

Last edited:

dangermouse

Reaction score
'Carpe Diem'

That's Latin right, for:

Fish of the day?

My classically educated wife (who is really really posh) tells me its for (you) 'to seize the day/moment'
'Carpe' is the second-person 'carpō' would be me seizing the day/moment
- cos tha dunt know whats round corner that might bite the(e) bum, love/duck/hinny/marra :)

Not sure how to count that? :confused:

Is it an attack on the plummet or a genuine bite? If it`s genuine I hope you were using barbless Peter :D

cg74

Reaction score
Probably a line bite.

On a clear day you (one) can just manage to see Ron's house from the top of Sandal Castle Hill

Try using a back lead; flying, captive or running, of course this leads (deliberate pun) to yet another question; who/when were each of those invented?? (that doesn't include my lead pun)

Last edited:

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Back to the original question ,it wasn't Duncan Goodhew:D

Duncan Goodhew was on telly tonight he was on some comedy show with Jo Brand , just lads tonight my son's girlfriend went home early , my Daughter was in her bedroom and my wife is staying with a sick relative at weekends to help look after her , anyway my son put it on saying this might be funny and she talked about womens problems for twenty minutes , so we nicked the remote off him and ripped the michael for twenty minutes or so then put the fishing on.

cg74

Reaction score
That was me too. You really must pay more attention.

I am impressed, very impressed.

Please don't spoil things further, telling me you invented the first electronic bite alarm and/or the arlesey bomb.......

Ah, but, I know you didn't develop the first rod rest that didn't trap your line between the rod and the rest. Many (alright a few) credit this piece of innovation to man called something Walker, but how wrong those misguided folk are; t'was first documented by Aboriginals circa 48,179 years ago. A cave painting has been found that clearly depicts the usage of such a rod rest. Aboriginals are not often credited with being adept at mathematics but they deduced that with the rod blanks being the diameter that they were, the internal angle of the 'V' needed to be 28.7`.