barbless hooks rumour

blounty65

Reaction score
hello all
i heard today on the bank that barbless hooks are going to be outlawed in favour of micro barbs has anyone else heard anything similar

seksee

Reaction score
I really wish it was true but I also believe you were bullsh*tted...

Remember the "nationwide ban on bread"? :) (Lord Paul's thread I think..)

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
I wonder if it was on the Barclays Bank that you heard it, they'll try to get their hooks in to any money making venture that lot.
Perhaps someone baited a hook and you took it :D

terry m

Reaction score
There is a valid viewpoint that suggests that in larger sizes, barbless hooks do more damage than barbed by virtue of the fact that they can cut/tear the mouth more easily.

I think there are reasonable arguements both ways.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Might happen on individual waters but I really can't see any national legislation coming in.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
apparantley a good way to tell is to put a hook , barbed or barbless , into a thick skinned side of bacon and twist it around - try it

sam vimes

Reaction score
Poor angling damages fish, not hooks !

Strange how some pretty good anglers disagree. However, I'm sure you can explain why you are quite so convinced. As yet, I remain unconvinced either way. However, some of those stacking up on the opposite side have been a boat load more convincing than you.

dave11

Reaction score
I think Barbless do harm fish. Take the Perch, it's vital organs are high up (as in its heart. A barbless hook moves around when playing it.The same goes for an Eel. Both swollow hooks easily and the damage is done before you land it as it will move around . Even a deep swollowed hook i do not even attempt to remove it as they will spit it out in time and a barbed hook would not have moved around and so if cut loose it will not move around.

I can see the case for barbless hooks for much easy un hooking but the damage is quite often done before you un hook it.

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
As an argument hasn't been put forward by me Sam, not certain how my comment could convince or not!

First of all I'm not convinced that if you keep contact with a fish, and not let it run around with no full control, and I don't mean bullying, a hook will move about.

I only use barbless hooks and have for some years I have never experienced mouth damage on any species.
As for the internal organs of fish being damaged by barbless hooks, cobblers, a hook's a hook and if it enters a vital organ it will cause damage.

Poor angling practice leads to any damage.

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
As an argument hasn't been put forward by me Sam, not certain how my comment could convince or not!

Because I've seen your argument before.;) As said, there's better anglers than you or I that are convinced, and are convincing, that barbless hooks can and do move during a normal and skillfully executed fight. No argument that barbless cause less damage during the unhooking process, but those that favour their use have more to do to convince that they are "better" during the fight.
The fact that there are an increasing number of big name carp fisheries (sometimes with big name ownership) banning barbless speaks volumes to me, as does the horrendous mouth damage I've witnessed on commercial venues where barbed hooks have been banned for the entire life of the fishery. I understand this won't be the type of fishery you frequent. I suspect if you did, you may be less convinced about the benefits of barbless hooks.

dave11

Reaction score
I have to challenge your view on your vital organ statement. I was just stating the case for a fish that is quite often caught by anglers and if a vital organ is more likely to be pierced in its position a barbless or a barbed hook will damage it however there is much less damage done by a barbed hook.

You only have to look in a Tackle shop to see what is available and what sells more. Individual opinions can be just that and over all fact is hard to prove however just the pure numbers of anglers using one of the other as a much higher percentage must count for something. I talked to the manager of a very well known tackle shop over a year ago and barbed hooks are bought more than barbless of at least 5 to 1.

You keep using your barbless hooks as I believe you honestly believe it does less harm and that is a thought of a caring angler but as stated I know a very well known angler one who is constantly in the public eye and so really needs to be seen doing the 'right thing' and barbed hooks is what he uses as that is what he has been told by his company and he would agree anyway. It’s a 5 hour long DVD that should give you an idea as it’s being flogged for nothing in tackle shops

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I only used micro barbed hooks in sizes from 10 or 12 upwards. Whereas from 14 downwards its usually (80%) barbless. I would think that barbless are better for the fish in the smaller sizes, but barbed may be better in larger sizes - with the issue of a large barbless hook in a large fish moving under strain. However, I have not had or seen this happen because i have not tried barbless in large hook sizes.

Whatever is going on there is plenty more mouth damage out there (especially with carp). Theres been other threads on here discussing this and the consensus seems to be that powerful rods in inexperienced hands, bolt rigging with heavy weights, not playing fish properly, braid etc are also factors.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Theres been other threads on here discussing this and the consensus seems to be that powerful rods in inexperienced hands, bolt rigging with heavy weights, not playing fish properly, braid etc are also factors.

I've seen the threads and don't draw the same conclusions. There are more than the odd one or two, that are extremely anti-carping/carpers, that shout very loudly about powerful rods, bolt rigs, heavy weights etc. However, to suggest that there is a consensus is wide of the mark. If we come closer to that consensus than I believe we do, it's primarily because there aren't that many out and out carpers on here.

No one has managed to explain to me why the worst venues for seeing mouth damage are commercials where barbed hooks are banned, no one uses "proper" carp tactics and often there's no matches to speak of.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I've seen the threads and don't draw the same conclusions. There are more than the odd one or two, that are extremely anti-carping/carpers, that shout very loudly about powerful rods, bolt rigs, heavy weights etc. However, to suggest that there is a consensus is wide of the mark. If we come closer to that consensus than I believe we do, it's primarily because there aren't that many out and out carpers on here.

No one has managed to explain to me why the worst venues for seeing mouth damage are commercials where barbed hooks are banned, no one uses "proper" carp tactics and often there's no matches to speak of.

Fair enough Sam, thats why i said "factors" rather than "causes".

I think stronger lines and powerful rods are a key difference between now and say 30 years ago when mouth damage was rarer - but also frequency of capture is a lot greater nowadays on pressured waters. That would be my hypothesis as to why fish on pressured commercials with barbless hooks rules show mouth damage. 30 years back it was common for anglers to hook a carp but get snapped off due to using lighter lines and inadequate tackle as they were targeting tench or bream etc.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Fair enough Sam, thats why i said "factors" rather than "causes".

I think stronger lines and powerful rods are a key difference between now and say 30 years ago when mouth damage was rarer - but also frequency of capture is a lot greater nowadays on pressured waters. That would be my hypothesis as to why fish on pressured commercials with barbless hooks rules show mouth damage. 30 years back it was common for anglers to hook a carp but get snapped off due to using lighter lines and inadequate tackle as they were targeting tench or bream etc.

Well, if you are suggesting that stronger lines and more powerful rods are the key differences, I'll chuck in barbless hooks themselves. I can barely recall using a barbless hook thirty years ago, no one else did either (at least very few did). There were certainly very few fisheries that insisted on them. So, by your own logic, it's barbless hooks themselves that are the key difference! Ergo, barbless hooks cause more damage.;):p:wh