Why Are Casters Different Colours?

maceo

Reaction score
When you buy them there's light almost white ones, sort of yellowey ones, brown ones and even black ones.

Why is that?

Do they mix different colour maggots together and then let them turn to casters, or is it that they change colours in varying stages of being a caster as they develop towards a fly?

If it's the former then why are they always mixed colours? Why don't we buy just white or just brown etc in the same way we buy single colours of maggots?

Finally, while we're on the subject, those pastel coloured maggots you can get sometimes, in blues and greens and pinks, what colour do they go when they turn to casters?

dangermouse

Reaction score
Different stages afaik. Only white maggots are deliberately turned into casters.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Only white maggots are deliberately turned into casters.

I suspect it rather depends on who is doing the turning. Until recently, my local shop turned their own caster and I know for sure that they used all colours of, past their best, maggots.

dangermouse

Reaction score
I suspect it rather depends on who is doing the turning. Until recently, my local shop turned their own caster and I know for sure that they used all colours of, past their best, maggots.

Ah yes, I should have said "they should .only use white maggots". :eek: :p

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score

They can still work OK as feed at least, but casters from white maggots usually come out a big bigger in my experience. The only coloured maggot casters i have used are my own turned ones though.

To answer the original question, they darken with age - like any other chrysalists (=pupae) - eg butterfly/moth/other flies. They should darken as soon as theyre out of the fridge (unless they are dead).

Last edited:

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
They also lose moisture and take in air as they age, so really dark casters float; worth bearing in mind if the fish are ignoring your bait because the weight of the hook is sinking it too fast...

dannytaylor

Reaction score
one of the great mystery's of the universe, who needs the "god particle" anglers discovered this years ago its the tiger nut! :eek:mg:

maceo

Reaction score
Well I'm glad the sky's blue where you are.

Here it's very dark grey with big black stratus drifting past every 15 minutes!

williams7383

Reaction score
if you can get a good sized pint of red maggots, keep them fridged in sawdust, and dampened, let them turn on their own, you will get big, reddy/purple casters, feed shop bought ones, and fish your own turned ones on the hook, these are deadly for quality roach in clearish water.