How to Tie the Knotless Knot

Chris Bettis

Reaction score
A good clear explanation that is easy to follow and makes tying this very clear.

Perhaps you may think about during a similar job with the Grinner.Many of those I see are very different to the way **** Walker showed me and I suspect not as secure.

The Gooner

Reaction score
Great photos and easy to understand. One question though, how can you achieve the same effect with nylon on a water which prohibits braided hooklengths?

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
By using mono instead of braid...

Sorry Mr Gooner, I'm unsure what you're unsure about. Tie exactly the same knot in exactly the same way just using a good quality mono hooklength material.

What sort of 'effect' are you looking for?

The Gooner

Reaction score
Braid doesn't have the memory of nylon so I'd assume nylon would untie itself unlike braid which says put quite nicely.

Haven't I seen somewhere that you have to glue a knotless nylon knot in place? May be wrong of course.

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

No, a knotless knot in mono won't untie itself, and especially so once the shrink tube has been applied if you're following Ian's guide to the letter.

Some anglers put a dab of superglue on a knotless knot tied from mono, but this is more of an extra insurance rather than a necessity.

F

Frothey

you dont really need the shrink tube with mono - it'll give the same effect without. and like Graham says, even without glue it wont undo itself.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Have noticed when using some mono's that the knot loosens but it as never untied and with a bait on the hair it would never get back through the eye.

The Gooner

Reaction score
Cheers Paul - I'm fine with braided rigs just haven't really tried monofilament versions...

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Thanks Bryan back whipping locks the knot in place. I am not to sure about super glue and mono I think it can weaken the knot. Also you dont need to use a heat shrink kicker with mono as the line give you the kicker effect.

F

Frothey

i think bryan's on about carrying the whipping back past the hairs exit to lock it in place andto make it stand proud - i do it ( after seeing Rik do it!) on all my rigs that dont have a blow back, but a bit pointless if they do,