Bit of a weird one.....and not a wind up!

smufter

Reaction score
Not being funny, but does anybody else get bored with catching????
I went out early yesterday morning to one of our club waters, holds a good head of decent sized Tench and there are some mid twenties Carp in there too.
Started fishing on the bottom, had a couple of nice takes which resulted in a lovely conditioned Tench which must have gone around the 6lb mark. Unhooked him and slipped him back in the water.
Settled down to fish again and there was a lot of commotion further up the bank with a biggish carp feeding on the surface. I quickly took the weights off of one of my rods and tried a little stalking, one half hearted attempt at a take, but nothing.
I then walked further down the lake, I was on my own (the peeing rain must have put everybody else off) and noticed that the bay at the far end was rammed out with feeding Tench. Water was gin clear and it was quite shallow so I had a good view of what was going on.
Stuck a reasonable sized lump of bread flake on and cast out to just beyond where they were feeding and watched it sink slowly down through the water. As soon as it settled on the bottom, a Tench came in, picked it up and made off with it. Hooked into it and it was another lovely specimen, in perfect condition and was a similar weight to the first one. Put up a heck of a scrap as it felt the hook and tried to make it’s way into the lilly pads close by but I managed to keep him clear.
The swim settled down and within 3 or 4 minutes the Tench were back again. Another lump of breadflake, exactly the same result! All in all, I pulled 9 Tench out within the space of about 30 minutes, all reasonable sized (between 5 and 7lb at a guess) but I hate to admit it....I was getting bored! It was too easy. I know that I should be thankful, because there are plenty of times I’ve blanked in the past. But I don’t know why I felt this way.
As I say, it was peeing it down with rain, I was covered in mud and was tired as I hadn’t had much sleep the night before and had got up at 3.30am for this session.
Just wondered if anybody else had ever got bored catching fish???

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
Show Off HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :D

Phrase -: Shooting fish in a Barrel springs to mind.

Swings and Roundabouts me thinks, take the Red Letter days when they come along, you'll probably get far less of them that you will Blanks.

dannytaylor

Reaction score
time to take up golf :wh seriously if your bored with that standard of angling its maybe time to sett yourself some new challenges fish some new waters, methods, species etc. Theres plenty of diversity in fishing thats one of the best things about this pastime.

The over used cliche springs to mind, its not catching its fishing.

(i can hear the QI siren)

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I know what you mean there is a pool at Hamstell Fishery where after careful plumbing I found a little bowl shape , concidentally It lines up with a fake owl ornament on the opposite bank , so if you get your number 7 section lined up with your knee and the tip pointed at the owl and feed pellets with a toss pot you get a fish about every minute - all day biggest about a 3lb carp.

I did it and after a while I was bored ****less.

Maybe if the fish were bigger ?

dezza

Reaction score
Other than match anglers and some sea and game anglers, we don't go fishing because we want the fish. What we really want is the pleasure we get from overcoming the difficulties of catching them.

The moment when catching fish becomes easy is the time I either pack up and go home, because we have cracked it, or move to a different spot in order to face a new challenge.

However sometimes I get the desire to amass a big catch of roach or bream. But that's not possible these days on many of the waters I fish, as they have a keepnet ban.

terry m

Reaction score
There is a water that I have fished which is absolutely rammed with stunted carp, it is a fish a chuck, sweetcorn does not get a chance to hiot the bottom if you lower it in front of your pitch. They are desp[erate for food and that is reflected in their skinny body shape. The fish seem to be mainly in the 7-8lb bracket with a couple of scraper doubles. Fun for an hour byt then it is mind numbing.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
There is a water that I have fished which is absolutely rammed with stunted carp, it is a fish a chuck, sweetcorn does not get a chance to hiot the bottom if you lower it in front of your pitch. They are desp[erate for food and that is reflected in their skinny body shape. The fish seem to be mainly in the 7-8lb bracket with a couple of scraper doubles. Fun for an hour byt then it is mind numbing.

Where is it ?

skullsat

Reaction score
:D your quick there,must be down south as thats where he's from,there's a hole in the ground called highleys farm just by earlswood lakes that people reckon you can't even get chance to have a cuppa it's that fast,all day fish after fish,i've never fished there too small for my liking,theres another at the back of earlswood lakes that's a bit better and some double figures,never fished there either,but i know both are popular with pole fishermen.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
:D your quick there,must be down south as thats where he's from,there's a hole in the ground called highleys farm just by earlswood lakes that people reckon you can't even get chance to have a cuppa it's that fast,all day fish after fish,i've never fished there too small for my liking,theres another at the back of earlswood lakes that's a bit better and some double figures,never fished there either,but i know both are popular with pole fishermen.

They should have a match in a place like that where NO bait is allowed. You would have to improvise with bits of twig or rolled up bits of clay on the hook. Cheap day out too.

dannytaylor

Reaction score
id be bored if i fished a hole in the ground with hungry pastie carp. fishing is all about the challenge. Different fish, different seasons :w

goonch

Reaction score
Use the methods YOU enjoy. Fish the venues YOU like. And most important of all, stop when YOU want.

Fishing is a very personal thing and, for the vast majority of us at least, there is no obligation to do it. Don't go fishing just because you feel like you should and definitely try to avoid falling into the trap of competing with others.

Fish on your own terms, how you want, when you want.

BarryC

Reaction score
If it happens only rarely then I would probably enjoy it but would'nt want it to be a regular occurance.
I know some guys that fish the same lake week in week out.
They put out two rods for carp and catch all day long fish up to low doubles.
They do the same thing every week, know what they are going to catch and how big it's likely to be.

Wheres my golf clubs?

andreagrispi

Reaction score
I have at times packed up when I have been catching bream around 10lb+ and tench at 6lb+, never because I have been bored but because I am emotionally exhausted. On day I had 300lb of massive bream and tench in 5 hours, I could have gone on to catch 500lb+ but I'd had enough.

Similarly with barbel, huge catches but I have had enough.

GREAT DAYS!!!