Vegetable oil

blounty65

Reaction score
I have been making my own groundbait for a while now and i am always experimenting with a variety of flavours and colours and different particle baits that i add. the g/b i make i use for the method feeder using the preston inline method feeder and also the drennon feeder. i wanted to add an oily trail to the g/b but didnt want to use halibut oil as this would ruin the flavour i had got so i used some vegetable oil 3 tablespoons to 1/2 kg what i have found is that i get the oily trail but it also makes the molding part so much better and easier, it releases from the mold easier but it holds its shape better and doesnt affect the breakdown in the water. this would work if you use from the shop g/b just thought id share that snippet with you. you might even be using it already lol

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I can imagine oil helps with the method mould but surely it won't do anything but float once the mix breaks down?

blounty65

Reaction score
no its actually staying on the lake floor although i have added stuff that does float up the oil will be on that but i can honestly say my bite rate has increased since i have been adding the veg oil

peterjg

Reaction score
I suggest you try grapeseed oil - it works well.

superted77

Reaction score
Will have to try this,but does it work micro pellets on the method?
Might help them bind together better.

dave11

Reaction score
lads if there is one thing i am bloody useless at in Fishing is groundbait. I can never get the damn thing right. Always to much of this or that. i think i could make a wedding cake rather than groundbait so i am going to grovel to you kind sirs and ask if you have a kind of good groundbait for some large bream i am targetting and i am talking 15lb +
Oh and instructions in laymans rerms for an old fart like me please!

blounty65

Reaction score
2 x out of date white loaves
1 x box of the cheapest cornflakes you can find(lidl)
1 x box of fishy flavoured cat biscuits
250g of 2mm pellets

tear the bread to small pieces and wizz it in the blender a bit at a time
once you have wizzed all the bread put it in a couple of baking trays and in the oven gas mark 6 keep checking it reguler take it out when it feels like its dried out whatever you do dont let it burn.
when its cooled down put it through the blender again then place in a bucket
then wizz the cat biscuits in the blender do them all once then re wizz them and throw that into the breadcrumbs, wizz the box of cornflakes until fine then throw that in the bucketand mix it all up throughly at this stage you can start think about adding flavours but you dont have to. bag the mix into 500g bags i find that plenty for two rods. on the day you are off put the pellets into a tub and just cover them with boiling water and cover after 5 mins throw them into your g/b mix and give it a good mixing. now if your after bream buy some liquid molasses mix about 50ml with bottled water(never use tap water) now gradually ad that mix to your g/b until you have a texture that sticks together leave it to stand then mix again and add the water/molasses to get just the right texture. this should help with the bream. the pool i fish they love it. hope this helps