HELP! Degree assignment on 'instant big fish venues'

ldnlite

Reaction score
Afternoon all, first poster here.

Im studying enviromental geography/science and have an assignment due for when I return. We were asked to write an 2500 word essay (quite lengthy) on a topic of our choice. Being an angler I have decided to study the controversy and impact surrounding 'instant big fish' venues in the UK. In short I'm looking at the types of venues where big fish have been imported from other lakes within the UK and abroad. I am looking to get a numebr of case studies (around 15) for which I can base my essay around.

I am looking for lakes that give anglers a real chance of catching 30's, 40's (maybe even a 50) in a short space of time. It would be of great help if you could offer me your suggestions (PM ME) of other lakes like these so that I can increase my case study tally and complete a competent piece of work.

Please do not use this thread to vent your angler at any fishery mentioned.

Thank you for your time, Phil

Last edited:

The bad one

Reaction score
So you're really studying instant carp waters rather than big fish waters.
You might be better off asking this question on Northern Monkeys.

Blakemere Whitchurch is another one to add to your list.
Any water that stocks Simmos ugly things that they are :eek:

ldnlite

Reaction score
So you're really studying instant carp waters rather than big fish waters.
You might be better off asking this question on Northern Monkeys.

Blakemere Whitchurch is another one to add to your list.
Any water that stocks Simmos ugly things that they are :eek:

Im looking to include lakes which give the angler a good chance of catching big fish (30's and 40's) without needing to join a syndicate or spend great lengths of time on the bank. So yes, instant (although not always easy) carp waters that contain big fish.

Any more you can list pal?

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
I think you've more chance of finding the Holy Grail, any carp angler with access to UK waters where there's a chance of turning up on the day and catching a 40lb fish will hardly give this knowledge away freely.

"Oh hello I'm writing about catching record carp, just name some venues on an open forum please":eek:mg:

ldnlite

Reaction score
I think you've more chance of finding the Holy Grail, any carp angler with access to UK waters where there's a chance of turning up on the day and catching a 40lb fish will hardly give this knowledge away freely.

"Oh hello I'm writing about catching record carp, just name some venues on an open forum please":eek:mg:

No records, just good sized fish. I went to pavyotts mill for 4 nights with a friend and had a great session, caught forties and thirties. These kinds of places are out there, but I cant just talk about one place, I think the monument is similar, although I havn't been there myself.

---------- Post added at 12:02 ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 ----------

No records, just good sized fish. I went to pavyotts mill for 4 nights with a friend and had a great session, caught forties and thirties. These kinds of places are out there, but I cant just talk about one place, I think the monument is similar, although I havn't been there myself.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I wouldn't have thought you need many waters for an essay? 2500 words is barely drawing breath and about the size of a decent article in a monthly fishing mag.

The principle on them all is much the same; dig a modest-sized lake 2-5 acres(?) in fairly fertile ground from scratch, give it 12(?) months to settle down and then stock it with big carp at a relatively high density. Then start fishing.

Problems likely are possible disease due to overstocking/poor disease resistance, the fish being very easy to catch initially but quickly becoming difficult, the possibility of having to replace expensive fish due to losses, otter/human predation, flooding if on a flood plain, fish spawning after being stocked to bring lots of small carp that may need removal, whether this is a sound basis for developing a lake, whether other wildlife thrives in such a water with little weed, how the water settles down, water quality.

The moral dilemma is whether it constitutes fair sport/achievement/challenge but that is straying into philosophy not environmental science.

Fished a similar set-up in France - 3 acres - 120 carp 20-40lbs. losing 10 carp a year.

ldnlite

Reaction score
I wouldn't have thought you need many waters for an essay? 2500 words is barely drawing breath and about the size of a decent article in a monthly fishing mag.

The principle on them all is much the same; dig a modest-sized lake 2-5 acres(?) in fairly fertile ground from scratch, give it 12(?) months to settle down and then stock it with big carp at a relatively high density. Then start fishing.

Problems likely are possible disease due to overstocking/poor disease resistance, the fish being very easy to catch initially but quickly becoming difficult, the possibility of having to replace expensive fish due to losses, otter/human predation, flooding if on a flood plain, fish spawning after being stocked to bring lots of small carp that may need removal, whether this is a sound basis for developing a lake, whether other wildlife thrives in such a water with little weed, how the water settles down, water quality.

The moral dilemma is whether it constitutes fair sport/achievement/challenge but that is straying into philosophy not environmental science.

Fished a similar set-up in France - 3 acres - 120 carp 20-40lbs. losing 10 carp a year.

2500 words is about 3-4 pages of computer-typed words on A4 sized paper, far more than what you would see in a magazine.

Cheers for your thoughts on the whole though, some good advice there much appreciated :thumbs:

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
2500 words is about 3-4 pages of computer-typed words on A4 sized paper, far more than what you would see in a magazine.

Just did a check on some of my own submitted and published articles in Coarse Fisherman and Coarse Angling Today: actual submitted counts of text not including captions etc. 2300, 2800, 2700, 2000 and 2800. Angling Times more usually 1200.

Glad to help though.

ldnlite

Reaction score
hmm thats surprising lol I would never have thought that. I guess though the writing in those magazines is quite small, so you could get alot on a double or three page article.

The bad one

Reaction score
As I said ask on NM there's a debate on there somewhere about this very subject. So plenty of angler's views on the subject.
There's them that think it's baggin and a photo op to show to bait companies with a view to getting the freebees off them as a "Bait Tester."
Then those who wouldn't touch such waters with yours let alone their own.

If you can't get a short 2500 worder out what's on there, you'll not get it anywhere.
Got to say the tutor/lecturer who gave you the licence to pick your own essay topic to write about is being bone idle in my view.
Student Centred learning.... what cobblers! Excuse for lazy buggers.

The object of essays is to test the writer's ability in many aspects critically analyse, research, use of referencing etc, etc. Only set questions which are designed to test all these areas, will show the writer is attaining such skills and knowledge. Not suggest you are not BTW.

As a matter of interest which Uni is it that's letting you do this?