Maver poles

fedup13

Reaction score
have or should i say had a maver medusa pole ..................yes they stop making them years ago ...i know ......heres the story saved and saved to get myself a decent pole ,decided on a MAVER MEDUSA 16 M .got it in the end thought great then had 3 heart attacks so couldnt fish for years ,so pole never got used ,recently thought its time to get myself out by the bankside again ,thought great can use the pole i brought years ago ,only used it a few times ,when twice no problems ,third time unlucky hooked a small carp only a few pound if that ,u guessed it pole went into self destruct mode and didntnt just break it shattered into 8 places ,all the way down to section 4 ,so i thought hardly used it must be something wrong with it ,which you would so tried getting intouch with MAVER UK ,has anyone one tried getting intouch with them ,its a feet its self ,emails just get bounce back ,so thought they must be a way .ohhhh there is ,if you want to buy a new one you can get straight though ,no problem ,the guy there was helpful told him the story said i,ll pass it on to returns ,GREAT I THOUGHT ,lady rang told her the story showed her photos ,have a word with my boss she said and ring u back .... she rang back with the not so great news ,not willing to do anything its too old dont make them anymore .... wouldnt you think they would at least check the pole out seeing it had hardly been used which u can see its like new been used half a dozon times , three match fisherman were there when it broke and they even said ur pole must be faulty get on too maver ,THIS IS MY POINT ....how long do you think a expensive hardly used pole should last ..........if your like me a few years longer than mine did unlike MAVER who couldnt seen to care a less

maceo

Reaction score
Welcome to the board and sorry to hear about the health problems and, of course, the shattering pole.

You ask how long they should last, well obviously they should last a lot longer than half a dozen uses!

Consumer legislation says that the item you buy must be fit for purpose and if this shattered when landing just a small fish then it's obviously not. I don't think time comes into it.

It seems Maver are typical of the many companies who try and hide from complaints and claims. Shame, because their rods are generally excellent. I use their Genesis feeder and Abyss float rods and both have been really good.

I suspect that they're trying to give you the 'bums rush' to see whether you go away or not. I think perhaps a bit more persistance may well pay off with a repair or replacement.

Try sending them a recorded delivery letter with veiled threats of a small claims summons if the matter can't be resolved. Mention you're very disappointed and that you're an active member of the (ahem) online angling community and up until now you'd always posted glowing reports of their products.....

Might well bring some results.

Good luck with it anyway and I hope your health is much better now.

sam vimes

Reaction score
It doesn't really matter how many times its been used, it's all down to how old it is. There aren't too many manufacturers that could do a thing for a damaged pole or rod once it's more than two or three years old. There are even less that could do a thing once a pole is over five years old. Whether any of them should be expected to do anything once a pole is older than the year or two that are covered by statutory rights, is another matter entirely.

Your best bet for making your pole useable again is to try and find a second hand and lightly used No4 section on ebay or the various forums.
Just make sure you know which version of the pole you have. As I understand it there are more than one version of the Maver Medusa.