Question....

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
In recent times here in the south-east I've seen road embankments and other tracts of land lined with what I can only describe as plastic fences. The plastic is sheer sheet (not a net) and anything between a foot and two foot high, held in place by wooden stakes. What's it for? Anyone?

barbelboi

Reaction score
Possibly a lot of the time its for the wild life that lives on the side of the road, to stop them trying to cross?
Jerry

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
That's it....thanks, Merv. I suspected it had something to do with wildlife but having seen great ribbons of it winding across tracts of anonymous 'wasteland' I began to think it had some other 'planning' or industrial purpose. Great, isn't it, that there are dedicated souls out there doing their bit for the newt? I haven't seen a salamander since I was a kid.

---------- Post added at 10:25 ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 ----------

Thanks, too, to Barbelboi.

john step

Reaction score
I spoke to a chap some time ago whilst he was errecting one such funny fence here in Lincolnshire. Apparantly when work such as roads, new housing, or anything else that alters the land use or affects adjacent land these are put in to contain things like newts and frogs. Sometimes they incorporate sunken buckets to trap the critters for removal to a safe location.

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
Oh, dear....not ANOTHER one of my favourite haunts about to get the back-fill treatment? I've lost count of the waters I've cherished then lost to the waste-disposal mob. Fingers crossed - I'm hoping for a 3lb roach from the venue in question. I lost the Upper Chelmer to vandalism perpetrated by the new owner of the big house at Croxton Mill (they found that the best way to shore-up the end of their garden was to open the sluice, EMPTY the river and do their work from the resultant muddy ditch...the EA wasn't interested and still isn't. What was once my own personal dream river is now a silted-up stream); I lost my wonderful Chelmer tench swim to Essex CC in collaboration with some East London Kids Organization when they constructed a huge wooden canoe launching pad where the river meets the weir stream at Sandon; most of my childhood haunts in Thurrock were filled in and those that were spared are now carp syndicates ringed with barbed wire! I could go on...at least the newts are getting some protection; I doubt the fish will get the same respect if the venue IS due for back-filling.