Bogus venue reviews - good and bad

bub81

Reaction score
Are commercial fisheries that claim to have a 35lb'er in a relatively shallow lake of 5ft, lying?

Perhaps most fishery owners lie about the biggest fish in their lake?

Do many people post bad things about their favourite venues, in order to keep them from becoming crowded? For example, by pretending a lake has been decimated by hungry Poles or that it is so close to bad areas that cars and tackle are getting smashed up and stolen?

Is the online fishing community a naughty one in this regard?

Would appreciate anyone's views or experiences.
(Or confessions)!

Malc

P.S. When I say 'Many People' I am not talking about yourselves/FM members! I am asking what you think about the sort of reviews found on venue-listing sites, etc.

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
IMO the only way you can get to know a fishery is to get out there and fish it - I rarely fish commercials, however information from other anglers anywhere (apart from a trusted few) is often complete bullshine, either inadvertently or otherwise.
Jerry

bennygesserit

Reaction score
one place I fish has a new speccy lake and suddenly the size of fish coming out the other carp only pool seems reduced coincidence ? I was talking to the baliff who told me they couldn't move the only grass carp they had to the speccy pool because you needed a different license for it.

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
I posted several years ago about a 'pond' not too far from where I live, in the middle of a field, approx 3/4 acre in size, 18inches deep, very very very rarely seen anyone fishing it. Was passing one Saturday lunchtime and there were perhaps 15 anglers, pulled in and went to have a word.

They were talking 25lb carp, double figure bream, but to a man they were complaining of the depth, how even the lightest lead sank into the bottom, and no-one had had a bite.

They'd travelled, as a group of friends, approx 30 miles to fish it. When I asked why, one of them pulled out one of the angling weeklies, and in the places to fish, or whatever it was called, was a photo of the pond, definitely THE pond, but what a wonderful place it looked.

The write up was unbelievable, and, if I had'nt known about it, I would have been attracted, but what a load of garbage.

A

alan whittington

one place I fish has a new speccy lake and suddenly the size of fish coming out the other carp only pool seems reduced coincidence ? I was talking to the baliff who told me they couldn't move the only grass carp they had to the speccy pool because you needed a different license for it.

This happens on many waters,especially where new lakes are dug close to your lake,saying that anglers seem to find ways to 'magic' fish into migrants.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Are commercial fisheries that claim to have a 35lb'er in a relatively shallow lake of 5ft, lying?

Not necessarily. I've known 30lb+ fish come out of ponds of a few acres and little more than five feet of water even in the frozen north. Even more likely as far south as your part of the world.

Perhaps most fishery owners lie about the biggest fish in their lake?

That may be true but usually it's a case of exaggeration rather than out and out lying. It's always worth taking what a fishery owner says with a pinch of salt. However, there are some out there that are surprisingly honest.

Do many people post bad things about their favourite venues, in order to keep them from becoming crowded? For example, by pretending a lake has been decimated by hungry Poles or that it is so close to bad areas that cars and tackle are getting smashed up and stolen?

I can't say I've come across that but I'm sure it has happened. However, the most likely scenario is that folks will simply say nothing.

Is the online fishing community a naughty one in this regard?

As above, far more likely that folks say nothing. I learned the hard way about doing exactly that. You'd be surprised just how many people scour the web for venue information. Reporting a decent fish can ruin a water for yourself and the other regulars.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Not necessarily. I've known 30lb+ fish come out of ponds of a few acres and little more than five feet of water even in the frozen north. Even more likely as far south as your part of the world.

Very true Sam, one of our club waters set in a woodland surrounding is no more than two acres, has three islands and the depth is never more than 5'. The small head of carp go to pushing 40lb and, among other species a few very heavy tincas. Not for the faint hearted as the residents are more spooky than most river fish.
Jerry
PS We're not in the frozen north though;)