I need a tackle box.

jimmy crackedcorn

Reaction score
M currently making do with a hooklength wallet, and an old small toolbox for floats and feeders etc and one of those small black tackle boxes with lots of tiny compartments (I'm sure you know the sort) for hooks, shot etc. All gets shoved in my chair bag, and to a degree, it works.

All I thought I'd do is get a tackle box to combine all three. Easy ? No. Can't find anything that I can put floats in and store everything else neatly in tidy wee boxes. Hooklengths alot can do but at the expense of floats (I'm thinking the fox boxes sort of affair - but cheaper). Failing that it looks like a generic, slightly bigger hobby box for the floats, feeders etc and keep the little black box and hooklength wallet.

I know most of you aren't glued to seatboxes so how do you get on ?

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I used a fox box for years and I was very pleased with it, then I invested in the new Greys tackle box and it is superb!
The box is much better than the fox box because it is built with two drawers as well as the top compartment but it is not much bigger than the fox box and it's like a Tardis, I can get about 50 floats in the centre comp and feeders will fit snugly in the drawers (but of course you can configure the box to how YOU want it, also the mini boxes that fit inside are a lot cheaper than the fox system ones. You can also buy a hooklink winder that fits in the centre comp but as it comes in it's own container I just keep it separate and keep my floats in the main box.
Have a look on the hardy and greys web site or look on the Harris sportsmail website and take a look at the prices and the reviews on this superb system tackle box (they also do a smaller version now (but it does not hold as many floats!)
They are a little expensive for a tackle box but you will not regret it one bit when you realise what this beast holds and they are very well made too so should last a good many years :)

sam vimes

Reaction score
Greys Coarse - Products - Accessories - Tackle Boxes and Accessories - Prodigy Klip-Lok Tackle Base

I can't recommend these (and the klip lok bait boxes) highly enough. I got one because I often wander round a large lake with minimal tackle. I had a tackle box that fit nicely in the bottom of my Korum bag. However, I couldn't fit the long floats required for fishing deep water in the box. I used to carry them in a separate tube which could be a bit of a pain. No dramas since switching to the Greys box. Just avoid the fully loaded version with the rig board. A good selection of floats fit nicely in the space designed for the rig board. I have the original full sized version of this box rather than the newer compact version.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Good God Sam, you copy my choice of reels and not satisfied with that you have to get the same tackle box as well :D

jimmy crackedcorn

Reaction score
Thankyou chaps, it does look quite spanky. It's a tad more than I wanted to pay but it seems to do what I want. Had a brief visit to my local tackle emporium and they don't stock them. They did the Korum rig manager which I didn't like, and also a cheapy 6th sense model, which whilst it wasn't as cleverly designed, or as sturdy looking at under 20 quid it didn't look bad at all.

Looks like a battle royale between these two, unless anyone else has any ideas.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Which reels? I've got so many of the damned things these days, I'm bound to be copying someone, somewhere. Provided they buy Shimano.;)

Stradics, D series Baitrunners, XT mini Baitrunners...bla, bla, bla, :D :D

Anyway Jimmy, I promise that you will not go far wrong with the Greys box, they are very well made. Did you have a look at them and the accessories on the Harris Sportsmail site...free postage!!! ;) Go for the unloaded one and add klip lock boxes as and when :)

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have been a fan of the Fox Box for many years but that Greys effort looks interesting. How much are they?

Terry,
The prices vary as they sell them in 3 guises, Un-loaded, semi-loaded and fully loaded (which comes with probably the best rig board on the market, but you can buy one as an extra anyway) and now they do a smaller one which is just the ticket for roving but does not have a large main compartment to fit many floats in!
take a look on Harris Sportsmail.
They are carnivorous Terry, and are very well made to A very high standard! well worth the money IMO :)

no-one in particular

Reaction score
This will be of no help at all but, thought I would mention it. You never know. I have been using a laptop bag lately. It has 8 compartments, special holes for pens that carry my floats. Plastic zipped compartment for my license etc. Compartment for hooks and so on. The main body of the bag carries my reel, towel, bottle of beer etc. All zips and clips on compartments. I do fish light these days for short sessions but , this could almost be tailor made for fishing. A long strap over the shoulder and that's it; just the job. You can pick one of these up in junk shop for a quid.

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Terry,
The prices vary as they sell them in 3 guises, Un-loaded, semi-loaded and fully loaded (which comes with probably the best rig board on the market, but you can buy one as an extra anyway) and now they do a smaller one which is just the ticket for roving but does not have a large main compartment to fit many floats in!
take a look on Harris Sportsmail.
They are carnivorous Terry, and are very well made to A very high standard! well worth the money IMO :)

Don't forget that there are two different sizes too, standard and compact.