Problems with this site?

R

Rob Brownfield

It takes me over 2 minutes to open each screen at the momnet, any one else having this problem or is this a cunning plan by Rik to stop me posting..hehe

Regards
Rob

R

Rodney Wrestt

It's fine here Rob, have you tried emptying your browser cache (steady lads).

D

David Will

Happens very rarely , when it does I go offline and back on , seems to sort it.Whats a browser cache Rodney ? Sounds good.

R

Rob Brownfield

I work for a company that specializes in web design and implimentation...and we can't work out whats wrong!! Its not just at work, its at home through BT as well.

Maybe sombody is standing on the cable that lets info through to Scotland...hehe

R

Rodney Wrestt

David,
The cache is a list of files that Netscape (or whatever browser you use) stores on the computer so that if you go to a site regularly it can load the pages quickly, or when you change the page and go back it can load from the stored files on the system rather than bring them all down from the site again (yes, even those naughty ones leave a mark). The browser does this regularly to keep the files fresh and the more sites you visit the more files are stored and the longer it can take to get pages loaded. You can flush this out and free up room by removing files from old sites you went to but never returned to and refresh the files when you go back to a regular site.

Rob,
I had a problem a while ago (not with F.M. but my ISP) they changed the layout and one day when the updated site went live, I couldn't get access to it. When I contacted them they said I could try a new browser which I did and it worked, I used to use Communicator but now use Navigator, could it be something like this?

R

Richard Drayson

I haven't experienced any problems Rob.
The only problem I have is initially being able to connect to the internet through my ISP. This seems to vary at different times of the day.
Getting back to your point though.
Is it just FM pages that take a long time to load? If not, maybe your modem connection speed wants looking at.

J

John Pleasance

Not had any particular problems lately Rob, I have found that Netscape seems to load up quicker than Internet Explorer.

R

Rob Brownfield

Strange....i got home tonight and its working fine now :)...the guy must have taken his foot off the cable :)

A

andrew jackson

I am using a standard modem 56k v90 on a notoriously poor line. I live in a rural location and the cable is a underground affair. I say underground but it sort of goes all over the place. In fact, and I know I am seriously drifting off the subject, but please bear with me. The cable actualy runs along most of the fencing in the locality. We have had sheep chewing through it, gardeners choping through it whilst trimming hedges and countless storm damage incidents. The Fishing magic pages are currently taking around 8 seconds to load as I write. So I would try and find this guy who keeps treading on your cable, as he must be pretty heavy. :)

R

Rodney Wrestt

Hmmm....I now have a problem which started a couple of days ago. It happens with my Email, I can read them but can't send or reply to any, I can't post on FW anymore and I can't change my mugshot on here. I was relieved to find I can still post on here but don't know why, I currently use Netscape navigator and then I tried using netscape communicator. With communicator I get a message which reads [Network Error: Connection Reset By Peer] but in Navigator I don't even get a message.....nothing happens, any ideas.

C

Chrisx Ess

Norton Cleansweep, Internet Cleanup (from PC World) will both clean your cache, and get rid of any cookies, annoying pop-up lists etc. Also you might like to have a look in IE tools, or Netscape Preferences. Speak to your ISP's advice line - it's their job after all - and you're paying for it!.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Cheers Chrisx Ess,
I've already cleared the cache manualy, and removed the cookies and searched through the options and prefrences but can't see anything that will help, This started with one or two postings refusing to be sent but it cleared up for a day or so then it happened continualy and has remained so I even reinstaled both progs. ISP is next in line I think.